INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
anju831

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Guys!

its me again back with some more icm goodies. This time Im posting clips from Ustad Nishat Khan's concert in Los Angeles, USC campus on the 11th of October.

It was a great great GREAT concert. He started out the night with a nice raag Yaman. One thing that was quite different, even he mentioned so, was that during his alap he had the tabla going. Ive never heard an alap with tabla with it, anyone care to shed some light on it?

Raag Yaman:

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/757322449/5c8b96530ff36174d08c7120626c5764

He then BLEW MY MIND by playing one of my favorite raags, raag Sughrai. It was bliss! He played 3 compositions and sang with them as well; the first of which I have never heard before and I REALLY like. He also, paused for a few moments to translate the hindi, which is really nice because I never know what theyre singing about. The lyrics are so romantic. This has been playing all day for me!

Raag Sughrai:

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/757351457/fc6e61d47db8ff68a4db83dd1ce2c300

I actually dont know the last raag he played, so if anyone would be so kind as to help me out that would be great. It sounds so familiar to me, the composition, yet I cant quite my finger on it, but i know i heard it before.

Raag Tilak Kamod:

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/757359571/684447d251cf4a263574c390f7d99604

Oh and sorry about the chatting, I was actually not the one recording, my friend was lol. Once again only up for 7 days so DL fast and I hope you guys enjoy (I KNOW you will)!!!!!!
Nagawoman

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks. The last one is maybe Tilak Kamod, you can hear this composition in "The music room"/"Jalsaghar".
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Re the alap/tabla thing...
Sometimes during a gat a kind of alap is played which at times syncopates around the thekas or beats. It then 'collapses' into the gat beats again. It can be quite difficult to do but has an amazing effect.

Nick
John

Reply with quote  #4 
At risk of being eaten alive ( :wink: ), I'm going to stick my neck out and say that 3rd clip is DEFINITELY Tilak Kamod.

It's a very popular gat in on of my favorite 'light' rags.

haldamos

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Re the alap/tabla thing...
Sometimes during a gat a kind of alap is played which at times syncopates around the thekas or beats. It then 'collapses' into the gat beats again. It can be quite difficult to do but has an amazing effect.

Nick
To elaborate on this: playing the "alap" during the atti-vilambit to begin a performance is something that is fairly common these days. (Before I get shouted down, I am not saying it is easy). It is a modern adaptation to situations where traditional full exposition of the raga may not be feasable. This is in a recent musicology book somewhere, if can find it I'll post the info.

For reference, see Ustad Vilayat Khan's LP Yaman. Side 1 is basically alap, which occasionally "collapses" back to the composistion. The composition is also used as a demarcation to clearly mark the phases of the "alap". I can't think of other sistarists who had done it prior; but since, many have built on the idea, even incorporating challans in later stages akin to jhalla.

PH

Reply with quote  #6 
This is essentially Khayaal ang baaj (as opposed to the Dhrupad ang alap, jod, jhaala we're so used to listening): the instrumental version of the Khyaal singer's bada khyaal in ati-vilambit.
anju831

Reply with quote  #7 
hrmmmm very interesting...thanks for the input guys. I hope you enjoy the clips!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.