INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Thanks to tablabeatz for finding prof. Kippen's old tabla webpages on web.archive (which I did not know existed) I merged an old (and only) recording of Natthu Khan playing this venerable peshkar with prof. Kippen's transcription and uploaded to utube.

Transcribed by prof. Kippen from an old 1930s recording of Ustad Natthu Khan.

For historical details and analysis, see

Natthu Khan and the Delhi Peshkar

http://web.archive.org/web/20071205135216/http://kippen.org/natthu_peshkar.html

This short article is well worth reading for some historical details where he concludes that in the past:
Quote:
Tabla was probably not nearly as rule-bound as many musicians would now have us believe.
One reason for this is that with variation #5 Ustad Natthu Khan in fact uses what is now recognized simply as a Delhi kaida, namely "Dha ti dha ge na dha ...."

Pascal

p.s. for whatever reason utube has not properly synchronized the pictures with the audio track; not sure how to fix that yet.

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow good work Pascal in finding that recording and putting it together.

Never been a huge history buff for tabla - but I do find it quite interesting ! Particularly how Kippen said that recordings had to be short back then and Khan probably didnt play the 'full version' for "fear" that repeated listening may enable others to "steal" the material.

I find that quite amusing to say least - particularly how guarded artists were and some still are.
I think now in modern day artists are differentiating themselves more on the quality of their playing.

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.