INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Ustad Latif Ahmed Khan - Master of Rhythm - tabla solo - Vilambit Teental

I've had this CD for quite some time now, but it's only recently that I've really listened to it carefully, and it simply took my breath away. It didn't just dazzle me with his incredible speed and clarity. The performance also struck me as bold and innovative for lack of a better word (I sound like I'm writing liner notes for a CD!). Put another way, it struck me as quite unconventional in its development. But what also really made me pause is the profound emotional response that he manages to elicit. It's a very exciting and interesting solo, but it's also tinged with a certain kind of melancholy which is not the emotion one expects the tabla to produce! It's worth noting that this is also the most unusually evocative lehara I have head in quite some time and very much helps establish a certain kind of mood.

It has quite unexpectedly become my favorite solo of his.

I'm quite keen to hear what others have to say.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
This was a beautiful solo - loved the entire thing - Amazing playing !
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.