Not sure if these have been posted here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dfuchs66?feature=watch
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Not sure if these have been posted here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dfuchs66?feature=watch

That's an absolutely remarkable find! As a long time fan of Ustad Latif Ahmed Khan I thought I had most of the available recordings of his solos. This one and the 3 others on that website is an absolute treasure trove!

Since December I've been helping his son Babar Latif Khan trying to locate obscure recordings since he himself seems to have only a few (I found one solo that was on a french jazz record featuring Don Cherry, a french jazz musician, and the lehara is played on very groovy jazz organ!). I think he will be very excited to find these!

(Ustad Latif Ahmed Khan had 2 sons, Babar Latif Khan and Akbar Latif Khan, both tabla players. He died when they were still fairly young).

... their website

http://akbarlatifkhan.wix.com/babarlatifkhan

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Axel"
Dear Pascal,
it was Daniel Fuchs from Germany who posted these solos. He was a student of Ustad Latif Ahmed Khan in the 1980s, I think. Do you know that there is a published CD by Ustad Latif Ahmed Khan, published by an Afghan student of his in Germany maybe 15 years ago? It doesn't have a great sound quality, just a Mehfil recording done with simple equipment. You might be able to get it here: info@raga-maqam-dastgah.com
Axel

No, I was unaware of this CD. Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I can't help but wonder how many such gems are still floating out there gathering dust ... This little treasure trove almost doubles the length of available tabla solos of his. Being a long time fan, this is a startling but welcome find. Babar Latif Khan wrote me he also didn't have these recordings though he knew that he was a former student of his fathers. It's interesting that these recordings have just now turned up since just a few weeks ago I had contacted a radio station in switzerland who had played and recorded some of his solos to see if they had any possibly unpublished stuff. They recently replied back that they could not find any more than what had already been published on the french CD "Hommage a Latif Ahmed Khan" which is how I first discovered him.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #4 
Wish there was some video footage to go along with it
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Axel"
Dear Pascal,
it was Daniel Fuchs from Germany who posted these solos. He was a student of Ustad Latif Ahmed Khan in the 1980s, I think. Do you know that there is a published CD by Ustad Latif Ahmed Khan, published by an Afghan student of his in Germany maybe 15 years ago? It doesn't have a great sound quality, just a Mehfil recording done with simple equipment. You might be able to get it here: info@raga-maqam-dastgah.com
Axel
Might this be the Master of Rhythm CD? If so I do have that one, and you're right the sound quality is a bit sketchy. On the other hand the French CD Hommage a Latif Ahmed Khan (with a very helpful 34 page booklet insert in French and English) is an absolute must for L.A.K. collectors with very good sound quality.

PB

dhavaldesai

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the link buddy. Great help.

Regards,
Dhaval
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.