INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone know where I might find a tabla solo recording of Ustad Inam Ali Khan originally done by Robert Gottlieb (recorded in Bombay october 6, 1971). It's a 15 minute performance, and it might be included as part of set of performances possibly.

The reason I ask is that Gottlieb transcribed the entire performance which is available at google books

http://books.google.com/books?id=sxp7Cz7HStYC&pg=PA7&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

about 30 pages are available for preview which includes Inam Ali Khan's transcribed performance.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
bhilaj51

Reply with quote  #2 
I have got that book "Solo Tabla drumming of North India" by Robert Gottlieb beautifully packaged ( it cost a lot of dosh ) and you can still buy it on ebay or Amazon , it come with 2 books & 2 cassette tapes which have 6 solos in all performed & transcribed on them including the one you want the others being Pandit Kishan Maharaj,Alla Rakha Khan, Keramatullah Khan , Habibuddin Khan Wajid Hussain Khan & Anyone Khan if they practice hard enough ! The Inam Ali Khan (Delhi Gharana) one is like you say just under 15 minutes recorded in Bombay October 1971 but the recording is particularly very tinny sounding, i guess old Robert was using a hand carried recorder like a Nagma or Sony cassette those being state of the art back in those days. All the solos are transcribed but not necessarily 100% accurate. I just pulled the book package out , cleared of the dust and noticed that at some point over the years i have lifted all the recordings off the cassettes and on to 2 cd's which i possess. You search around America , i mean it must be in californieh somewhere, is Robert still alive ? I am in the UK but if you send me a 1st class BA ticket return i can deliver it personally !
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "bhilaj51"
I have got that book "Solo Tabla drumming of North India" by Robert Gottlieb beautifully packaged ( it cost a lot of dosh ) and you can still buy it on ebay or Amazon , it come with 2 books & 2 cassette tapes which have 6 solos in all performed & transcribed on them including the one you want the others being Pandit Kishan Maharaj,Alla Rakha Khan, Keramatullah Khan , Habibuddin Khan Wajid Hussain Khan & Anyone Khan if they practice hard enough ! The Inam Ali Khan (Delhi Gharana) one is like you say just under 15 minutes recorded in Bombay October 1971 but the recording is particularly very tinny sounding, i guess old Robert was using a hand carried recorder like a Nagma or Sony cassette those being state of the art back in those days. All the solos are transcribed but not necessarily 100% accurate. I just pulled the book package out , cleared of the dust and noticed that at some point over the years i have lifted all the recordings off the cassettes and on to 2 cd's which i possess. You search around America , i mean it must be in californieh somewhere, is Robert still alive ? I am in the UK but if you send me a 1st class BA ticket return i can deliver it personally !
It's apparently selling for more than $200 at Amazon ... not exactly in my budget. my google searches have essentially come up empty with regards to any recordings. If I had the $$$ I be delighted to have you as a guest in missouri!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #4 
Hahaha - you guys are funny -

The link is interesting and all - but I don't think it's worth $200+ in terms of practical usefulness.
But i'm sure it is worth that if not more as for "collecters value" - so hold on to it tightly bhilaj !

The link was interesting to the google books you provided Pascal - I like the family trees for all the gharana - however again the bols look messy and badly presented - and almost a headache to interpret it all - not so worth it in my opinion :?

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Kran

Reply with quote  #5 
Here's Inam Ali's recording on Patrick Moutal's site. I think he has all of the solos from Gottlieb's book:

http://moutal.eu/audio-archives/instrumental/tabla/246-iman-ali-khan.html
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kran"
Here's Inam Ali's recording on Patrick Moutal's site. I think he has all of the solos from Gottlieb's book:

http://moutal.eu/audio-archives/instrumental/tabla/246-iman-ali-khan.html
I don't know how I missed it in my google searches, but that's *exactly* the recording I was looking for! Many thanks!!

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.