INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #1 
Per A's request, a decent quality Jhaptaal from a studio recording by Habbibbudin. Sorry its only 4min long

http://rapidshare.com/files/73917701/Habbibuddin_jhaptaal_casette.wav.html

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow, thanks dude! No reason to be sorry - this will be much appreciated!

Reply with quote  #3 
Tablafreak you have some rare gems! Thank you very much for sharing.
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #4 
This is a good recording. More than other recordings of Habbibuddin, this give an idea of what Ajrara baj is about. Here too, you can actually hear the excellent bayan control and the eloquent conversation between right and left hands.

This from http://minedreams.com/blogs/?p=7

(Nice biographies, but the links don't work. [p.s. same working at: http://kippen.org/t_masters/habibuddin.html ] )

"Habibuddin Khan (1899-ca.1974) was one of my ustad, Afaq Hussain’s favourite players. One reason was the beauty and balance of his sound; another was his marvelously subtle and sophisticated used of the bayan or bass drum. (Listening to it is so refreshing after hearing some modern players — who shall remain nameless — murder the bass with their whooping frenzies.) In this wonderful performance of a qaida, Habibuddin’s two hands seem to be in lively conversation with each other. Sadly, Habibuddin is often remembered for his dislike of Ahmedjan Thirakwa rather than for his own superb music. He died in obscurity and poverty, and no one is entirely sure just when he passed away."

- James Kippen

Reply with quote  #5 
really looking forward to this, thanks for posting it tf!

-r
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #6 
After hearing so many of the really bad recordings I was quite glad to get this one. His bass control is amazing....

This is such an appropriate statement.
Quote:
...eloquent conversation between right and left hands

Reply with quote  #7 
Many players don't follow the right hand with left, but they play hands kind of seperately either leading more with left hand or right hand. I prefer balanced bayan playing for it's more logical and musical. The players who I most admire for their bayan playing are Ustads Shaik Dawood, Habibuddin and Shabbir Nisar. They don't modulate those whooping sounds that Prof. Kippen wrote about, but they have more beautiful and poetic approach to it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.