INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #1 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkzl6rlrro9uy5i/Tweaking%20tanpura%27s.mpg

Filmed in the spur of the moment, courtesy of mr. Felix van Lamsweerde, who hosted Ustad Hussain Sayeeduddin Dagar, myself and my 1963 tanpura in 2000. Mr. van Lamsweerde had these made in Miraj in 1963 as a jora of tanpura. He kept one, and sold the other to a musician, who at some point sold it to another musician as he went back to India, the second selling it to the third, in 1987, that being me. In between , the instrument was used often to accompany visting masters who performed in the Mozes and A
westsea

Reply with quote  #2 
That is an amazing video.
Thank you!
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #3 
This is fascinating, thank you for sharing.
Markoz12

Reply with quote  #4 
Incredible video. I really enjoyed it.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #5 
Great video!

I was wondering at the end he mentioned that your ma was spining per say and his was straight, were you able to adjust your playing, if so what did you do?

I think more videos of tuning the tanpura/tambura would be great, also a detailed version of how to optimize the jivari would be super, I am to receive another instrument from miraj in the a couple weeks and I am very excited to dive in!

The beauty of the properly tuned tanpura is a special thing.
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #6 
the point Sayeeduddinsaheb was making is that the one tanpura had not been used for a long time, and that somewhere in the sound layers something had not quite settled in yet, so there is a minute instability. It just has to be played for some time and it will correct itself.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.