hbajpai

Reply with quote  #1 
Sorry if its a duplicate.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Sorry if its a duplicate.
I've not heard of him before. His speed is quite incredible, and reminds me of Ustad Tafo Khan in that regards. Found a little bit of info on him ...
Quote:
Ustad Faryaad Hussain "Bhulli" Khan

1945-2004

Gharana: Punjab

Teacher: Ustad Ghulam Hussain “Jullundhari”

Ustad Bhulli Khan was an outstanding musician renowned for his tayyari and mastery over the “Ten Finger Style” created by his mentor, Lala Ghulam Hussain. Bhulli Khan won special praise over his ability to play the difficult “Dhire Dhire” bol.
http://www.sadarang.com/Gallery%20Tabla.htm

(Speaking for myself, and strictly a matter of taste, but as impressive as his speed is, aesthetically or musically it strikes me as a bit dry, or a bit flat. And I am speaking of this particular selection only, as that is all that I have heard of him.)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Ashis

Reply with quote  #3 
Ustad Faryaad Hussain Khan
Born in 1948 in a village called Mand near the Industrial city of Sialkot. Ustad Faryaad Hussain Khan is the foremost disciple of Ustad Ghulam Hussain Khan. Having followed an ardous period of practice, Faryaad Hussain Khan, popularly known as Bhulli Khan is one of the most dexterous tabla players in the world today. The ustad is famed for his mastery over difficult tabla strokes such as "Dhire Dhire"and always amazes listeners at the speed at which he performs intricate compositions. Faryaad Hussain Khan has been a regular accompanist tot the leading classical musicians of Pakistan performing at various international venues. In his first tabla solo release, the ustad has paid tribute to his mentor, the great Ustad Ghulam Hussain Khan.

Ustad Ghulam Hussain Khan 1914 - 1972
Ustad Ghulam Hussain Khan was one of the leading deciples of the leading desciples of the illustrious Ustad Mian Qadir Baksh of the Punjab Gharana. Apart from being a great tabla player, Ustad Ghulam Hussain Khan is accredited for creating a novel style of tabla playing known as "dus ungliyon ka tabla" or "the ten finger style". The technique involves the usage of al ten fingers in certain compositions. Ustad Faryaad Hussain Khan and Ustad Altaf Hussain Khan "Tafo" are the only two widely recognised practioners of this difficult style.

This information is taken without any modification from Ustad Faryaad Hussain Khan's Tabla Solo CD SR002 / produced by Saqib Razaq in 2002 :
"Tabla Tornado / The Legacy of Ghulam Hussain Khan"

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.