hbajpai

Reply with quote  #1 

Enjoy!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"

Enjoy!
Interesting recording of pretty good sound quality. I'm curious as to when it was recorded.

Note: the notes say that it's in ektal, but I come up with 16 beats everytime I count. Since I don't fully trust my count, can someone verify that's in teental and not ektal. (I counted 16 beats in the slow tempo at the beginning, and still 16 beats at the fast tempo towards the end.)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
npandit

Reply with quote  #3 
Pascal, I am counting sixteen.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "npandit"
Pascal, I am counting sixteen.
I'm sure it's teental and not ektal, not that it matters all that much really.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
dinegine

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:

Enjoy!

Poetry
npandit

Reply with quote  #6 
Are there any official recordings of Thirakwa?
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "npandit"
Are there any official recordings of Thirakwa?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "official" ... I guess you mean published recordings, in which there seems not to be very many of good quality that are of any serious length. The best known is probably the one released by Simla house entitled "Thirakwa" of a full length recording of a house concert in Bombay in 1964. It's uniqueness is that it was discovered in 1993 on three reels in a storehouse. It was originally recorded by a dutch indologist with the latest recording equipment, a portable professional tape recorder produced by the Nagra co. in Switzerland. It was stored and then forgotten for 30 years. The amazing thing is that the recording was in such good quality that it went straight to CD with no noise reduction of any kind. The CD tracks are labeled "reel one", "reel two" and "reel three" to reflect their provenance.

Someone uploaded 4 minutes of it here, but it's a terrible sound quality and does not at all reflect the actual sound quality of the CD (which I have).

Keep in mind that he was about 75 years old at the time. Regretably, recordings of him when he was younger are often of terrible sound quality.

Here is a recording of a house concert that someone put on youtube, but that's I've lightly processed for noise reduction ...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gx3chx9fv4p18qo

Pascal

pbercker

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Axel"
Simla House has published a second Thirakwa CD: "The Genius of Thirakwa". See:
http://www.simlahouse.com/releases/View_Release.php?Num=5&Subject=`The%20Genius%20of%20Thirakwa`
or
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thirakwa2
This looks especially promising given this description...
Quote:
The CD package includes an eight page booklet with track by track analysis and commentary by tabla master Pandit Swapan Chaudhuri

Pascal

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #9 
In addition to what's already listed above, here is one more published & released works of Ustad Thirawawa.

A DVD entitled "Filigree of Rhythm"
pbercker

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
In addition to what's already listed above, here is one more published & released works of Ustad Thirawawa.

A DVD entitled "Filigree of Rhythm"

A short clip from this DVD ...

That short clip answers a question I had from many months ago about what I took to be the "correct" position - or range of position - for the bayan.

Pascal

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #11 

I think this is from "Drums of India" series, but I could be wrong.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #12 
Actually it's from one of the two CDs Axel mentioned above ...
Quote:
In India at least two CDs have been published, one from the Archives of All India Radio:

Ahmed Jaan Thirakwa (1892-1976) (Tabla) - Akashvani Sangeet: Teen Taal (23:08), Dhammar Taal (13:26), Ek Taal (14:22), Roopak Taal (14:20), AKASHVANI ARCHIVES, H-62
"Drums of India" with Thirakwa has 12 tracks, mostly about 3-4 minutes each, with a few at about 7 minutes.

It's one of the better sounding recordings I've heard of Thirakwa.

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.