INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
This topic was brought to mind after posting in the Alain Danielou post.

I'm referring to the traditions of playing rags in certain 'angs'. An ang being literally 'body'.

Vilayat Khan does this on his Duet album with his brother Imrat on the final track. It does make the so-called familiar raag a little unfamiliar.

What do my fellow forumites understand by this?

Nick
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Trippy

what exactly do you mean by playing in 'ang'? And how does this affect the way a raga is played?

From my understanding of 'angs', certain ragas are related familially to other ragas through a 'raganga'. So for example you have the Bageshri 'ang', ragas that are related to it by this association are Rageshri, Malgunji etc. Or Bilawal 'ang', a related raga being Deshkar which has the same scale as Bhupali or Jait Kalyan but the latter two are Kalyan 'ang' ragas not Bilawal because they have melodic motifs similar to Yaman whereas Deshkar has motifs similar to Alahiya Bilawal.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello again my Antipodean friend.

Yes Ang is something not often mentioned BUT...

As I mentioned about the V K track at the end of the Imrat Khan duet LP/CD there are ragas such as Piloo played in 'Purvi Ang'. It makes the raag sound different. Not the familiar Piloo we all know & love.

It's almost like changing the tonic but keeping the same frets. Bit 'modes' like.

I'll have a look in a few books as only you answered this one so far though you sound to be on the right track here.

Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
In my opinion ang means the melodic phrases on which you immediately recognize the raga...it is so to say the heart or the feel of the raga....can not find any other words to describe this.

Some ragas can de played in two different angs...for example Jaijaivanti can be played in Desh ang or Bageshree ang....if you are using some phrases of Desh in Jaijaivanti (like M P N S') it is called Desh ang. If you are using phrases of Bageshree (like G M D n S') it is called Jaijaivanti with Bageshri ang.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Friend Barend's post seems to strike true as well.

I'll have another look at some older books & see what's mentioned, if anything, about various raag 'angs'

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.