INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a used (but in good condition) Pakistani tabla shell. Unlike most other tablas, this is decorated with flowers carved into the shell. It is also lightweight in that the interior is entirely hollow, unlike most other Indian tablas which are often only half-way hollowed out so as to remain heavy.

If anyone is interested I will post pictures here.

Price wise I'd love to get .... I don't know ... maybe $800 ! ... just kidding .... I'm thinking maybe $75? obo? or maybe if you have something really interesting to trade for it? good and rare tabla books maybe? let me know ....

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
saaca

Reply with quote  #2 
hey i may be interested!!!!!!

do u have any pics? what size is it?

regards
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "saaca"
hey i may be interested!!!!!!

do u have any pics? what size is it?

regards
I will post some pics tomorrow ... it's 5 1/2 in.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg442/scaled.php?server=442&filename=snapshot13m.jpg&res=landing

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9666/snapshot17rf.th.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9295/snapshot15p.th.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4417/snapshot14u.th.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/92/snapshot13m.th.jpg

pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Ok, so no seems no one is interested in a poor homeless tabla shell .... given that it's 5 1/2 suppose that it was reheaded with a nice Mukta Das tabla head and nylon strappings (or a tabla head of your choosing) would anyone be interested?

Pascal Bercker

p.s. I've reheaded probably almost 50 tabla heads over these last many years, and I've just reheaded 8 tabla heads in just the last 4 months! So I've got good practice!! (why so many you ask .... well once upon a time there was an evil hammer that managed to find all my lovely tablas .... oh... the horraa ... the horraa .... as Marlon Brando might say!)

Acelga

Reply with quote  #6 
Hey Pascal, I really love this shell and I
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey Pascal, I really love this shell and I
Acelga

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for your message. I am in Germany. If I was in USA I would maybe have bought you this and the phakawaj.
But I don
Nastika

Reply with quote  #9 
It is quite lovely! I have 2 questions:

What state of the U.S. are you in?

and:
How does the extra hollowness affect the sound/ timbre of the tabla?
saaca

Reply with quote  #10 
hi
i forgot about this post. is the shell still avilable?
pbercker

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Nastika"
It is quite lovely! I have 2 questions:

What state of the U.S. are you in?

and:
How does the extra hollowness affect the sound/ timbre of the tabla?
I am in missouri. When there was a head on it it sounded fine, at least to the limit of the quality of the tabla head which I think is really the limiting factor. I'm sure there must be some acoustical difference between a completely hollow shell vs. a half-hollow shell, but I also suspect that they are a very minor aspect of the sound. My other tablas that are only half-hollow are by no means uniform in their hollowness, but it's the tabla head that makes or breaks a good tabla I suspect.

And yes, it is still available.

Pascal

saaca

Reply with quote  #12 
how much do u think it'll be to post to the UK?
pbercker

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
I suspect $50 max .... possibly a bit less ...

but I'll check to see what a more exact price is like....

pascal

pbercker

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
I suspect $50 max .... possibly a bit less ...

but I'll check to see what a more exact price is like....

update.... a box 12"x12"x12" - priority international mail - 6-10 days = $48
via united states post office ... usps

pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.