INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
krttikaa

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #16 
I was just going to say the same thing, about Budhaditaya himself not using the third
finger (at least not in such an obvious and frequent way, in videos I've seen).

Regardless, I've admired her playing for some time, so I was very happy to see
her perform live last year, which by the way exceeded my expectations.   [smile]

0
Lars

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,419
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend


Yes. But Budhaditya doesn't use the third finger at all I think. They both had the same teacher.


Hadn't paid enough attention to it to notice but ok! Just noting the similarities....

Lars

__________________
http://www.raincitymusic.com
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,150
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars


Hadn't paid enough attention to it to notice but ok! Just noting the similarities....

Lars


ok, no problem of course. It's just strange that they both had the same teacher but each use a completely different left hand technique. Somehow this intrigues me.
0
Blind Lemon Mike

Member
Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend


1) I have never seen anyone using third finger meends to that extent


As stated above, Kushal Das comes to mind also... 

I also haven't seen Budhaditya use his third finger at all, if he does and i missed it, he does so very rarely. 

Maybe in her case it ist due to the fact that she has smaller Hands, beeing a woman. On the otherhand she does not seem so small.... 

Anyway she is a fantastic player i did not know about previously, thanks for posting that video. The Sitar sounds great, too...

regards 
Michael
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,150
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Mike


As stated above, Kushal Das comes to mind also... 

I also haven't seen Budhaditya use his third finger at all, if he does and i missed it, he does so very rarely. 

Maybe in her case it ist due to the fact that she has smaller Hands, beeing a woman. On the otherhand she does not seem so small.... 

Anyway she is a fantastic player i did not know about previously, thanks for posting that video. The Sitar sounds great, too...

regards 
Michael


Yes check the 5th post but Kusal Das only uses the third finger once and a while and only uses some occasion third finger meend on surbahar as far as I know. Not like the above Anupama video.

I don't think she uses it because her hands are too small because sometimes she uses second finger too for the same kind of lines.
0
Blind Lemon Mike

Member
Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #21 
@barend

check this as an example..



hes all over the place with his third finger.

regards
Michael
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,150
Reply with quote  #22 
ok thanks! Didn't know he used it that much. Only listened to his surbahar playing. I saw him live a long time ago in India but didn't notice it back then. Very nice.
0
Blind Lemon Mike

Member
Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #23 
He is truly a fantastic player. I hopfully will see his son Kalyanjit Das soon. 
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,150
Reply with quote  #24 
Is that a Barun Roy sitar by the way?
0
Blind Lemon Mike

Member
Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #25 
Yes i think so. He also plays one by Barun with the new Purple Label here. It also has an ouput jack, probably for a built-in pickup



his sitar is always so well tuned. 
0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,150
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Mike
Yes i think so. He also plays one by Barun with the new Purple Label here. It also has an ouput jack, probably for a built-in pickup



his sitar is always so well tuned. 


What do you mean by purple label? Any pictures of that?
0
katyrow

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 295
Reply with quote  #27 
It's purple-ish.  This is a late 2000s kalka.  Compare to tan/copper badge.


IMG_9841.jpg




dhrbadge.jpg 

0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,150
Reply with quote  #28 
Ok thanks. That's the same badge as mine BR has. But it doesn't look purple to me. That's why I was confused...[smile]
0
katyrow

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 295
Reply with quote  #29 
Yep.  More like reddish brown.  
0
Blind Lemon Mike

Member
Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #30 
yeah, that's the one I meant. I just mentioned to point out that it is a fairly recently built sitar.

regards
Michael
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.