INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
JDP

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi forum,

I am new here, and as well to Indian classical music. I ordered an Esraj and recieved it today. I have no idea what I am doing with it. Whenever I put my bow across the strings no sound comes off, just the sound of friction of my bow. What string do I play on? I watched the video here on the webiste and could not identify how to string a note. For some reason no sound comes out at all. Can anyone please help me, I was so exicted about my esraj and now I'm utterly depressed because I cannot do anything with it.

Thanks

JDP
ragamala

Reply with quote  #2 
Don't expect an esraj to sound very loud.

But if there is practically no sound coming -
first check the strings are taut, ie tuned up to where they should be.
second a new bow will have no rosin. Rosin the bow well and try again - let us know if you still have a problem.

P.S.
If you haven't already found it,
http://chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/esraj.html
is a good starting point for information, especially about rosin and tuning.
JDP

Reply with quote  #3 
How do I extactly rosin the bow? I just to the small gem like thing and rubbed it on my bow? it doesn't feel like anything comes off the rosin. Still no sound ..
JDP

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok the Rosin being applied after mutliply and long times has got the bow making sound. Now i have another problem, I broke the first sympathetic strings, one of the smalls ones at the bottom. I tightented to much and it snapped..:S.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.