INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi & Namaskaaram all

After reading the post about top nuts, I thought it might be good to start off a post about the more unusual designs we have on our instruments.

As I said, I have a wolf's head & foot on my first surbahar's top nut.
Anyone interested could e-mail your pics to

trippymonkey@gmail.com

& I'll post them on a new web site page I've just joined.

Nick

ps Any other pics of interest are most welcome too.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Good stuff coming up, I'm sure. I'll get over to the real compootuh and if the power comes back on sometime this evening, I'll start shoving a batch of pics over. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
"Look, boys and girls! It's the Magic Monkey"! (for all you 'Groove Tube' fans)! Hey, there, your Nickness. I'm on the real compootuh buzzing like a Bina bass string with a pot of nomenclature: Shai: wife type: 1 each / coffee: hot: Cream - 1. Sugar - 2. Got a pantload of critter pics that I'm now gonna send your way. Enjoy!

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi all again

Actually managed to get this sorted out. I had a first website but it was unclear as to how you could all access it without getting into the account itself. So I just made another account with my 'old Faithful'.

http://www.trippy.myphotoalbum.com

It has pics by Tony as well as Steve? is it?
I intend to post pics of the decorations on my set of instruments although Tony has my 45 year old monster in his pics.

Any one wishing to send any pics of you with your sitars/surbahars etc please feel free at

trippymonkey@gmail.com

Nick
Monica

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey Nick etc, thanks for sharing! Fun stuff to look at, and a wonderful variety. (Why is it that sitar designs have become so much less diverse in the last 20 years?)

By the way Nick, whatever happened to your old nicksitar photo album? I am trying to remember if it actually had a photo of that gourd-cello you spoke of, or if that was only mentioned in one of your old travel posts.

Reply with quote  #6 
Here are both sites

http://www.nicksitar.myphotoalbum.com

http://www.trippymonkey.myphotoalbum.com

First one has travels from arrival at Delhi up to Bangalore & the other has the rest up to leaving from Delhi again.
Which gourd/cello thingy do you mean? Someone mentioned it in a post once but it wasn't me. Not a cello kind of thing anyway. I did see some unusual instruments there.
I hope to get an electric vina next time. That should be fun. I saw one in a shop in Chennai, quite cheap too.

Would still like people to send me pics. You????

Nick
Monica

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Nick!

But hmmm.... I wonder who else it could have been that was also in India visiting sitar workshops, and saw that gourd-cello in-process? Sadly, those posts are lost somewhere in the Jun 2004-Jan 2006 archive and so are not currently available.

As for more pictures, I don't really have any besides the ones already on my own website. My full-size sitar is a fairly typically-decorated (although still quite attractive if I do say so myself!) Ravi-style model of just under 20 years old--which also supports my previous comment on the rather homogenized variety of sitars over the past 20 years or so. The nut decoration is vaguely lion-head like, but very simple detail. But you are quite welcome to add photos of the antique sitari to your collection if you like.

Reply with quote  #8 
Very , very nice pictures Sir Trippy Monkey...... I've looked at them several times now.
With a tear in one eye and a twinkle in the next :wink:
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
I hope to get an electric vina next time. That should be fun. I saw one in a shop in Chennai, quite cheap too.
Nick
Electric Veena!!!! Arrrrgh happiness is a warm gun ooo ahhh yeahhh. Well they are kinda neat strip all the Indian electronics and shut off the speaker gourds...ummm feeling dizzy, can't breath (to much trainspotting)

I'm digging for photos although my photo is available in Post Offices nation wide. I believe AlBob and Heywood Jablome are going to contribute also.

Reply with quote  #10 
Wow- blast from the past! Whatever happened to Jablomeji, anyway? Maybe we should have an Alter Ego Hall of Fame page. Uh...maybe not. Electric Veena. Oh yeah, I remember that album. "Have you ever been...Sa, ni, Dha, Pa.. to electrioc Vinaland"...etc. I hope there are no tabla players listening in to this next one, but has anyone ever tried doing a casual performance with one of the electronic tabla machines? I use one for practice and I've had a couple of occasions-non-serious performance gigs (background wedding music stuff) where I thought it might be cool. The only problem is therew is no remote start and stop, and no way to change speeds without physically messing with it. Just curious what else is out there that might enable a footswitch to activate so it could be used in that situatuion. Gee, I feel horrible even suggesting this electronic diversion, but if other members can talk about electric insdtruments I guess I won't burn in Hell :twisted: (not like I hit komal ga in yaman or anything
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #11 
Yaman+Komal Ga=Straight to Hades. We Got the Funk.....
Well a brief dip away from the subject but I like to use a laptop and a sample/sequence program, I have Fruity loops, not as discrete as a pedal but allows a mouse command to play and change sections on the fly so to speak.

Reply with quote  #12 
Hey Sitarman,

I often do lecture-demos without a tabla player, and so I use my tabla machine for the demo bits. it works great.. school kids are always astounded by the sounds, whether electronic or not. And, yes, I've made a formal request to Radel Systems to add footswitch functionality into their next model. I got a response from the CEO saying they would consider it, so let's see.. !!

Cheers,
Rex
sitarman

Reply with quote  #13 
Cool news Rex. I wonder if the tabla players are searching for a gat machine/taans machine combo to replace US!
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
Cool news Rex. I wonder if the tabla players are searching for a gat machine/taans machine combo to replace US!
Q. Whats long and hard on a tablachi???
A. Stay tuned!

Reply with quote  #15 
Hey Monica,
It twas I that had photos of Dileep Sharmas experimental two gourd cello. I'll try to figure out which site I have the photo posted on and will pass on the link. Dileep had several "experimental" instruments that had some unique details hidden away at his home.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.