INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
gringobabu

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Everyone!
I have a Mukta Das daya that I was never able to get a clean tuning on it. I replaced the head - excellent quality. However, there is still a rapid inharmonic - about 6 beats per second, no matter how well it is tuned. While the sound is nice and crisp, it’s not pure, marred by this vibration. Any thoughts? Perhaps it’s the shell? Thanks for any help.
drtom

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey gringobabu,

My guess is many of us don't know exactly what you mean.  Maybe you can post a recording of your tabla.

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #3 
Is the skin being overtuned so it's pulling the syahi apart???? The central black bit?

Nick
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #4 
- Is it the same with fluctuating finger forces ? say light, powerful, average.. 
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #5 
sometimes the hurriedly done uneven/notched/spiky circumference of the wooden seat where skin rests,  can yield this - audio sample & small clear pic can probably help. 
Zoravar

Reply with quote  #6 
lot of factures in tunning/ balancing. 

The tuuffest to tune and balance i came accross are those that was more than 5.5 inch and are meant for low keys. No matter how i tried sometimes while playing tend to lose the fine tunning.

If possible have a video. Lets see the setup and if we can hear your complaint over the media?
gringobabu

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Everyone for your input on this!  The head was on 4 straps and I pulled it and it's now on 2 straps and while the 6 beats per second is still there, it's not as noticeable and the tabla is sounding pretty good. 
gringobabu

Reply with quote  #8 
Just for reference, the daya is 5&1/2", tuned to "C".  I experimented taking it down to a "B" and up to a "C#" and "C" sounded like it's sweet spot.  Funny thing was that after the pitch change, the vibration was not there, but then came back after a few hours at the new pitch.  Changing from 4 to 2 straps seemed to make the biggest improvement.
drtom

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringobabu
Just for reference, the daya is 5&1/2", tuned to "C".  I experimented taking it down to a "B" and up to a "C#" and "C" sounded like it's sweet spot.

B - C# is the proper range for most 5.5" dayans.  Each one will naturally want to settle on a particular pitch, depending on several factors - you're in the best position to make that judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringobabu
Changing from 4 to 2 straps seemed to make the biggest improvement.

I wonder if it just needs more tension.  You could have pulled a little more slack and put it on a single strap.  When you say you took it up and down, I imagine you did this with your hammer and not by pulling and releasing the slack.  Adding a little more tension might clean it up for you.

The next time you skin this drum you should take a good look at the bearing edge,  as DrKashyap has suggested.  Also check for any cracks and/or knot holes that should be sealed.

Proxmire1

Reply with quote  #10 
try tuning against a reference tone, like 554 hz for c#. For every tabla i have ever tuned, I have always been able to get the head basically perfect, with no "beating" or warbling against the reference. Now, some stay that way more than others, but I have always been able to get that at least temporarily. Tuning against a tanpura drone is much tougher, because the pitch itself warbles and beats so the reference is flawed. But it is cool because you do have a small range of tone against a tanpura which sounds in tune, vs a sine wave that has to be exact.

Also, a ref. tone is better than an electronic "note sniffer" tuner tuner, which is far less accurate/stable. Still a good tool though. There is a drum tuner that recently came out called a "tune bot" which is amazing for tuning drums (allows be to get a drum kit perfectly in tune, sounds amazing), but unfortunately doesn't go high enough for tabla's around high A# or higher.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.