INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
povster

Reply with quote  #1 
During the planning of the stripping down and "rebuilding" of my Radha Krishna Sharma #2 (actually a pretty solid example of the type) I was on a quest for fret tying thread that took 2 or 3 weeks to complete. On the recommendation of Kalyan and Bruce at the Ali Akbar store, I sought out upholstry thread and bead stringing thread. Well, I went to a few upholstry shops to no avail. Then I found a bead store that had just what I was looking for. Braided nylon bead stringing thread. This is very tough stuff. I got #8 but will be checking out #6 (a bit thicker). An 18 yard spool was $1.50. 1 1/2 spools did the entire sitar from low tivra ma to high ma. The color is amazing. A deep, rich gold/brown like dark honey.

It took me almost 45 minutes to tie the first one, it had been so long since I had done it. Some of that time was spent leveling the instrument (a tabla ring under the gourd and a couple of think phone books under the upper gourd did the trick.) Thing is if it isn't level those frets are gonna just tip over. So after a few bizarre attempts I remembered to loop the thread, keep it presed to the neck with my thumb, and support the middle of the fret with a finger. I stretched the first loop so tight it sliced the thread against the bare metal notch. So next pass was just moderate tightness so both notches were covered by thread. Then I could pull nice and tight for the succesive passes. I did the second fret in maybe 10 minutes and realized it was backwards. Then successively quicker until it was maybe a couple of minutes a fret.

A few tips:

A nearby symp peg is a great thing for supporting the few inches of thread you will eventually pass through the loop. It is too easyt to start to wrap that loose end which results in wailing and the gnashing of teeth.

When you make the final pass, have passed the short end through the loop, be sure of its trajectory. Again, it is easy to find your loop ending up in the fret notch. The dentist will be pleased.

I found a pull straight out and slightly up to tighten the loop, followed by a good solid pull downwards, puts the knot in a very nice location, not too far down from the fret itself. (As opposed to just pulling straight down.)

Such is the tying of frets.

bobster

Reply with quote  #2 
Use a small fine elastic band to hold the fret in position. Hook the band over one notch in the fret then under the neck to the other side to hook over the other notch in the same manner as the thread will go. Tie the thread as normal without requiring two hands and two feet plus your mouth to hold everything in place. When you are done the band just slides out from under the thread because of its elasticity. If you are careful it comes out whole and can be reused for the next fret.
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
Use a small fine elastic band to hold the fret in position.

Hmmmm...I will try this if I can find a nice fine rubber band. One of my frets is too high. Gotta wonder if it is positioned right (on the RKS). I may try a bit of a shuffle first, as it is pretty high (pitch wise) or low (neck wise) - hmmm - who would have that it would be like car gear ratios - low gearing is numerically high and vice versa. What a world!

I may see if my upper ma will substitute until I get the wherewithall to smash it in position. Or may find it works dandy just swapping the two. We shall see. Looking forward to trying this intriquing idea!

povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Use a small fine elastic band to hold the fret in position.

Hmmmm...I will try this if I can find a nice fine rubber band. One of my frets is too high. Gotta wonder if it is positioned right (on the RKS). I may try a bit of a shuffle first, as it is pretty high (pitch wise) or low (neck wise) - hmmm - who would have that it would be like car gear ratios - low gearing is numerically high and vice versa. What a world!

I may see if my upper ma will substitute until I get the wherewithall to smash it in position. Or may find it works dandy just swapping the two. We shall see. Looking forward to trying this intriquing idea!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.