INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
vkhandelwal

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi,

I have a korg arranger keyboard which has tabla samples for various strokes for baya and tabla
I need to create a kit suitable for different scales
I could find that I need to tune 'Na' or 'tin' to the tonic note of the scale. say for example for a C# scale I would tune the sample of 'Na' and 'tin' to C#
But how I should tune other strokes such as 'Tun' or 'mute' ,'open' and 'tele' samples. should I use the same  note ( i read somewhere that 'tun' is one note higher.
also what about Baya (Ghe, open, ka, ge , nail etc...)

any help with information will be appreciated.

regards,

Vikas

drtom

Reply with quote  #2 
I love this question because it's really asking what the precise tuning of a tabla is.  I hope some of the more knowledgeable members around here chime in, because I don't know the answer and would love to learn.

Actually, I think it might vary from tabla to tabla depending on size, pudi, etc.

Is there an Ideal?

I do know that when I tune a tabla the open is a full note to a note and half higher than 'Na' and 'Tin'.  I've always been curious about this and always check (I skin a lot of tablas), but since I don't play tabla I've not checked beyond this.  I haven't mastered beyond what I need to tune.

The obvious thing to do Vikas is to find a well tuned tabla, play all the strokes you plan to reproduce and see what they're tuned to.

dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #3 
I dont know, if my answer is relevant to the question.

In my web app, user can change scale of Daya and Baya individually.
May be it could be useful for you to get feel of sound when Daya & Baya are tuned for different scales.

http://vishwamohini.com/music/demo-tabla.php
vkhandelwal

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Drtom
I am a keyboard player and do not play or own a tabla. That is why I seek answer from members of this and other forum.
it would be great help is some one can help me knowing the pitch of other strokes of tabla
if open tabla sound is full note to note map ( for example C or C#) then what would be the relative tuning of  bols such as tin, tun or Na ?

Hoping a tabla player member of this forum can measure the pitch of various strokes of his tuned tabla on a given key and share with us

vkhandelwal

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you Dhatidha,

I checked your webapp. it is good. however there is no option to play individual note that i can use to measure the pitch of various strokes,

regards,
Vikas
dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #6 
Paste below script in the "script" tab and check sound individually

[melody start]
[D1][tabla]
[D2][tabla]
[D3][tabla]
[D4][tabla]
[D5][tabla]
[D6][tabla]
[D7][tabla]
[D8][tabla]
[D9][tabla]
[T1][tabla]
[T2][tabla]
[T3][tabla]
[T4][tabla]
[T5][tabla]
[T6][tabla]
[T7][tabla]
[T8][tabla]
[T9][tabla]
[K1][tabla]
[K2][tabla]
[K3][tabla]
[K4][tabla]
[G1][tabla]
[G2][tabla]
[G3][tabla]
[H1][tabla]
[H2][tabla]
[H3][tabla]
[N1][tabla]
[N2][tabla]
[R1][tabla]
[R2][tabla]
[melody end]
vkhandelwal

Reply with quote  #7 
what are the bols for the codes R1, R2 K1 K2 etc.. ?
Proxmire1

Reply with quote  #8 
usually a good tabla is tuned to say c sharp at na and ta and d sharp an octave below at tun. so a minor seventh below. but being able to tune both digitally gives you the cool option of tuning tun to the seventh of the raga or scale. I am curious how this would sound. when playing tun over a major sounding raga, it can sound sour, which i am convinced is why it is used more sparingly than na or ta.

Pakhawaj interestingly usually has the open syahi sound at only a half step up in the octave below.
dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #9 
@vkhandelwal

please refer this link to understand codes R1, R2 K1 K2.
You can simply copy paste script provided into textarea  to see result

http://vishwamohini.com/music/help-tabla.php
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.