INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Yhaal House

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi! My first posting here.
I've been playing stings (Gtr, ukes, banjo, bass et cetera) all my life.
I'm quite new to sitar (couple of years).
I understand the notes to tune the sympathetic strings (tarb?) to but wish to discuss the actual method of tuning them.
I find I break strings because it is difficult to pluck the correct string due to them being so close to each other and inaccessible under the main strings. And so I end up snapping a string I'm not sounding by tuning up the wrong one!

Is there a method you use to get round this?
barend

Reply with quote  #2 
Just use your nail on your middle finger to pluck the tarafs. You don't need a long nail.
mizrable

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey !
one thing you need to try is just practicing tracing through the sympathetics. Keep you eye on your plucking hand and move your left hand to the coresponding peg of the string you plucked.. try this for about 5 min a day and in a month or three you can do it blindfolded!

I was taught to use either your ring or pinky
to do this you have to pull on the main string a little to reach the higher strings.
some folks tune the last few with their thumb nail from the chickari side. I teach these concepts via Skype if you would like to have some help.
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhaal House
Hi! My first posting here.
I've been playing stings (Gtr, ukes, banjo, bass et cetera) all my life.
I'm quite new to sitar (couple of years).
I understand the notes to tune the sympathetic strings (tarb?) to but wish to discuss the actual method of tuning them.
I find I break strings because it is difficult to pluck the correct string due to them being so close to each other and inaccessible under the main strings. And so I end up snapping a string I'm not sounding by tuning up the wrong one!

Is there a method you use to get round this?

It's just practice and even once in awhile after that you'll have this happen. You're turning the peg to tune while plucking the string but the string is not going up and you keep turning only to realize you've turned the wrong one. When selecting the string to tune try lifting it a bit with your third finger and recognizing the place on the neck and corresponding peg before tuning, that should help you with it. You'll be able to see the string moving in the phulia/grommet and then be sure of the right peg. Then tune to pitch and lift the string a bit to get rid of any slack and check/tune again.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Max Flury made a 3 part video series on youtube that very thoroughly explains the intricacies of tuning a sitar. Here is the link to part 1

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.