INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
I know I could look on the net but it's far more interesting sharing it here. 8)

This is a lovely piece of work. It's skinned bridge area body is the body of a peacock with the neck of a sitar. The taraf go through the side of the neck rather than INSIDE the neck & pulled out through the peg holes at the sides.
Seriously thinking about this one unless someone fancies a grand bowed instrument. 8)

I'll get pics soon.
Now what's the tuning for THIS?
It has 5 playing strings with no chikari like sitar. 13 taraf.

Nick
ragamala

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
I know I could look on the net but it's far more interesting sharing it here. 8)

This is a lovely piece of work. It's skinned bridge area body is the body of a peacock with the neck of a sitar. The taraf go through the side of the neck rather than INSIDE the neck & pulled out through the peg holes at the sides.
Seriously thinking about this one unless someone fancies a grand bowed instrument. 8)

I'll get pics soon.
Now what's the tuning for THIS?
It has 5 playing strings with no chikari like sitar. 13 taraf.

Nick
I left this a while as taus is an unknown, but since there are no replies yet...

I'd assumed that the taus had basically the same tuning as dilruba or esraj, but after a rescan of your post you say this creature has 5 playing strings rather than what I've understood previuosly to be the normal 4 on taus.

If you do decide to acquire this one, don't forget to buy sufficient peacock feathers to stick up its,,, er... stick in its... well you know what I mean.

Personally I've seen too many peacock feather vendors in India these are all the result of "natural" feather loss... but that's another tail....
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Another TAIL!!!!! MMMMM!!!!!
Not too sure if I want feathers up its watsit though. I know it's trad but still.....
Pretty sure it was 5 strings.

Nick
John

Reply with quote  #4 
Try contacting Ranbir Singh-ji at the Raj Academy, UK. He seems to be pretty much single-handedly keeping the Taus going. Beautiful instrument, in every way.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Ranbir Singh. I THOUGHT it was a Punjabi instrument.
I'll google & check it out.

Givvus us a call after the 29th when I'm back home.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.