INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cobra

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings and thank you all for being here. I don't often post here but check in often. Together, you are a great resource. I have two questions.

I know that to check if the dayan is in tune one plays "na" along the circumference of the pudi. How does one check if the bayan is in tune?

My second question regards a dayan with leather straps. Not rawhide - leather. Does this sound right to you?

Thanks for your feedback.
cobra

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks, but let make sure I understand. Are you saying that if the dayan is tuned to C#, for example, then the bayan should also be tuned to C#, though in a lower register?

Part of my original question implicitly asked whether to check the tone by playing GA or Ka or . . . . I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions.

Thanks.
evening84

Reply with quote  #3 
There is no consensus on baya tuning - I have talked to people spanning the gamut - real finicky ones that want it tuned to the same as daya (an octave lower) to others who do not care as long as it sounds decent. I personally like my baya to be pretty loose - its a little harder to coax the sound out but I find that much better than having it tight and almost too responsive.
cobra

Reply with quote  #4 
Really useful feedback. Each one. Thank you.
cobra

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "evening84"
There is no consensus on baya tuning - I have talked to people spanning the gamut - real finicky ones that want it tuned to the same as daya (an octave lower) to others who do not care as long as it sounds decent.
Part of the reason I posed the question to begin with is that I've encountered this or similar points of view before, probably including somewhere on this forum.
proxmire

Reply with quote  #6 
The baya is way lower than an octave below. if you are tuned to c# (and octave above middle c or 554 hz, which is the standard size tabla, about 5 1/4 inch), then the baya is up to 3 octaves below at anywhere from about 40-120 hz. Most bayas are not as low as 40, but I have heard them that low. Most are around the 80-120 hz range when playing the open stroke. But the baya is rarely ever tuned to the octave. Usually is is a fifth or fourth. I tune the baya to around f#, which is 92.5 hz, or G#, 103.8 hz.

But it really doesn't matter tuning to an exact note, because the palm/wrist and ear will usually adjust to get it in tune with the tabla. Since you are resting the palm behind the gab, this raises the pitch and once some skill is attained, your ear usually takes care of the tuning.

The most important thing is to tune the baya to a good sound, with even tension to get the most sustain and at the right tension for the drum to be optimal.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.