INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #16 
"Daz rite" ! ! ! All bottom strings go on that center post and all top strings go on the tabs. Good analogy - the distributor cap. Many years back I had a car with a Buick 351 short block V6. It ran better with the spark plug wires in reverse order on the block. Beats me ! ? !

Reply with quote  #17 
Got the duckie fixed up real good!!!

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/nadiasquaredog/80CB65FD-7585-4E06-85E0-43266F2BF62C-5132-00000577F152A436_zps03c48d7c.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/nadiasquaredog/3752BC00-1F53-4348-A3DC-A18CF2AC6DB4-5211-00000585D09CEE2C_zpsd208e3e2.jpg

Got the bottom filed smooth & leather glued on. Great idea, by the way! Even repainted his little eyeballs.

Lookin good, for a cheapo plastic unit
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #18 
Got the bottom filed smooth & leather glued on. Great idea, by the way! Even repainted his little eyeballs.

Lookin good, for a cheapo plastic unit

The antennas? What happened to the little antennas on the little duck? Did you take them off, or were they off when you bought it?

No matter, you can make some out of thread and glue them on yourself.

Reply with quote  #19 
Is that another one of your "finnigan pins"????
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yishai"
Is that another one of your "finnigan pins"????

ops: ......... ............ :roll:

Reply with quote  #21 
You can easily find bone tuning swans and beads for a few dollars - they look soooo much better than the plastic ones.
Yishai

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisnovice"
You can easily find bone tuning swans and beads for a few dollars - they look soooo much better than the plastic ones.
I could not agree more! Gotta wait a little while until I pay the rent I sorta neglected, so I could get my sitar!
I'll get some bone beads, strings, rosin, and a mizrab or two (mine are home made).

Thanks!
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yishai"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisnovice"
I could not agree more! Gotta wait a little while until I pay the rent I sorta neglected, so I could get my sitar!
I'll get some bone beads, strings, rosin, and a mizrab or two (mine are home made).

Now you're cookin' with gas!!! :wink:

Reply with quote  #24 
I noticed a bit of an issue with the shortest of the taraf strings. The taraf mogara (hope that's the right name) that leads the string out has a notch (from the string) and it seems to put undue stress on the poor string.

Is that something that can be replaced or, if not, can it be rotated so the string rides on a notchless area?

Thanks
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #25 
Yeah ! That eyelet slot will pinch the string so that when you crank the peg, all you are doing is tightening the string between the pinching slot and the peg shaft - guaranteed string snap. Extreme case will have the string slicing the wood. Take the string right out. If the slot isn't too deep, you can take a drill bit ( 1/8" - 3/16" ) and twist it into the hole just a bit. This will bevel the hole so the string goes back in with a wider base of contact area. Strings love this. If that slot is reeeely deep, take a rat tail jewelers file, twist it into the hole until it locks and gently wiggle / lift the eyelet out. Rotate the eyelet and reinstall. Replacement eyelets are available. I've got em. Rain City has them. AACM has them. Even eBay has them. Still having fun ???

Reply with quote  #26 
Thank you, Sitarfixer! (I was hoping you'd show up!)

The drill bit idea makes sense, and I'll give that a shot! If no-go, then I'll be making a call to Rain City Music

I'm definitely still having fun! The little odd jobs are helping me get to know my instrument a little better. Makes it feel more like it's "mine". I'm just loving my Duckie 2.0!

I was so proud that I'd bruised my finger playing (the scale) yesterday, and now I'm at work, and sitar-less for another 48hr shift I'd love to bring it to work, but a soft case on a motorcycle does not inspire confidence!

Thanks again!
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #27 
"...Replacement eyelets are available. I've got em. Rain City has them. AACM has them. Even eBay has them...."

I think it's important to note that I haven't seen eyelets or swans,fish nor eggs on the ACCm website, although I'm sure they do have them.

Examining the prices, both on ebay and at Rain City, Banjira sells eggs, both plastic and bone for $18.56, while Lars sells the bone ones for $5.00.

On the swans, Banjira goes for $21.59 and Lars has them from $10-15 ....

I was rather bad in math, but this is no contest.. :wink: Banjira has really raised their prices of late, to the extreme.

Reply with quote  #28 
I was just gonna talk to Lars, regardless!

No sense dealing with EBay silliness, when we've got a source for the goods right here!

First I'll try the drill bit trick. Maybe I'll order a whole set of beads, swans, and eyelets when it's time for strings :mrgreen:
Yishai

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Yeah ! That eyelet slot will pinch the string so that when you crank the peg, all you are doing is tightening the string between the pinching slot and the peg shaft - guaranteed string snap. Extreme case will have the string slicing the wood. Take the string right out. If the slot isn't too deep, you can take a drill bit ( 1/8" - 3/16" ) and twist it into the hole just a bit. This will bevel the hole so the string goes back in with a wider base of contact area. Strings love this. If that slot is reeeely deep, take a rat tail jewelers file, twist it into the hole until it locks and gently wiggle / lift the eyelet out. Rotate the eyelet and reinstall. Replacement eyelets are available. I've got em. Rain City has them. AACM has them. Even eBay has them. Still having fun ???
I tried Sitarfixer's drill bit idea and had great success!!! Thanks! I'm going to do all of them when I put on a set of strings.

This sitar has been a lot of fun for me. It seems to force me to clear my mind and concentrate on just what I'm doing. I appreciate everyone's help in getting it working like it should.

This forum is an amazing resource. Thank you!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.