INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, all.

I am looking at an unmounted Tumbi of a Miraj 2002 KP (very sorry: unable to provide pics).

All around the screw assembly, on the outside, a very thin & almost regular ring-shaped crack is showing on the varnish: it looks like an easy repair, but my concern is about it - the attachment assembly - getting worse with time: larger, thicker ... or even a bad omen to attachment breakoff :?:

I use this tumbi mainly at home, and maybe I'm screwing it too hard against the neck when in use(although I'm not a fan o' them because of affecting sitar-balance, I can hear this here tumbi WORKS!).

More, I have this fantasy of inserting a thin brass ring (it's actually
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
More often than not you'll get cracks on the wooden tumba part when the pipe is being fitted, etc. See it all the time. But a ring shaped crack I don't know, do you have a picture?

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Yep ! The usual crack is on the stem where the nail holding the brass threaded bit was pounded in along the grain. Instant crack either as the nail is pounded in or when twist pressure finishes the destruction upon screwing the tumba into the back of the neck. Cross grain pre-drilling for that nail helps a lot. On Hiren Roy upper tumbas, a square outline is often seen as it is the outline of the stem end cut and fit into the wood flange piece that the gourd attaches into. If your crack is at the base of that flange, I would think the load on it is set and not likely to get any worse unless repeated on - off fitting is applied. If that wood stem holding the brass threaded bit can wiggle at all at the flange end, then it needs to be reglued, reset or even removed, set up to tighter spec and reglued. A pic or two would reeeeeeely help.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi,all.

Lars, Sitarfixer,

Thanks for the helping - and again, sorry for the pic absence.

Just to clear that the circular crack is visible on the tumbi outside, and its centre is the tubular screw: lookin at the tumbi from above it (the cracking) runs concentric to the screw and to the attachment surface, i.e., the very circular part that rubs/screws on said sitar attachment flange, as Sitarfixer called it.

That's the best explanation I can provide for now - I'll see about the pic, though.

Thanks again.
Have fun,
Y.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.