INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
lostandlau

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All!

I have been studying sitar for about two months now, and I think that it would be great to meet some fellow students. I think that there are some great benefits to seeing other people who are around the same level of skill and knowledge play their instruments. Not only can we offer each other support, but we can perhaps learn from each other as well. Doing this would be ever-so-easy if I were learning an instrument such as the guitar, as it is a fairly common instrument for people to take up. However, even though I am living in a large city I only know of a couple other sitar players, one of them being my teacher. I have watched many youtube videos of sitar players, but they all seem to be of two categories: the greats or the "messers". Watching the greats is very inspiring, but at my current level of knowledge and skill what they do seems akin to magic and I find it difficult to apply very much of what I see to my own playing. Maybe if there are any other sitar students out there who feel the same way I do, they could contact me here. Maybe we could play our exercises together via video chat or just show each other what we are currently learning or working on. Thanks for hearing me out!
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi & welcome to the 'Madhouse'!!!

You don't say where you live though!!!???

Nick
lostandlau

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Hi & welcome to the 'Madhouse'!!!

You don't say where you live though!!!???

Nick
Thanks for the welcome, Nick. I'm living in Montreal, Canada.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello from the north west of England, not too far from Manchester.
You'll find many from Canada & the States here.

Nick
12thfret

Reply with quote  #5 
lol, had that same problem.

there's adam ducan out in ottawa who teaches (he's also a mod on this board). There's also a tabla teacher in montreal, shawn, who might also be able to introduce you to some sitar players.
Dspeck

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, living in a large city doesn't automatically help. I am living in Hamburg / Germany and I found exactly two teachers for sitar, one of them too busy to teach for the moment. A few teachers for other instruments as well, but not many either. And there is almost no sign of any cultural Indian activities in Hamburg either, except for a few Indian shops and restaurants.

I won't be good enough to play with other people for a while, but once I am ready, I will make sure, I'll find them!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.