INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
IML

Reply with quote  #1 
Is anyone else having this problem?

I recently changed my screen resolution from 800X600 to 1024X768 and now the site links, search, and sponser-ad side area-block is cutting off part of the actual forum's left side (it overlaps it, and far too much. for instance, at the top left of this screen, the "phpbb" ad block, you can only see "hpbb".....and just below that, "?ting communities", that's how far it goes over into the active forum side)

It also appears that at the very top of the screen, the "Chandra & David's Homepage - http://www.chandrakantha.com" looks like the very bottom of the blue block it's written in is cut off too short on the bottom.....rather odd, all this (to me, anyway)

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thank you
IML
IML

Reply with quote  #2 
If it makes any difference, running Win XP Home SP2

and forgive me for forgetting to add "OT"

maybe it's just something I'll have to life with, eh
oh well, at least I can read the posts, altho I'm not always able to know who wrote them, thanks to the cutting off from the left panel.....
hmm could it possibly be one of my settings?
i wish I could solve this problem
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you very much for the info.

Before I proceed I need to know what browser you are using. If you are using a W3C compliant browser (e.g., Firefox) then this could be a serious problem. However if you are using Internet Explorer, then this is a problem with IE and is not something that I can fix.

Internet explorer is not standards compliant and is known to render things in an erratic fashion.

You further feedback is greatly apprecited.

Peace

David Courtney
IML

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for your reply, David

As a matter of fact, I AM using IE!
And yes I know what a mess it is!

I'm running version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
update versions:; SP2

I guess this means I really should go back to FireFox!
Mostly I am using IE at present because I'm tinkering around with some website and/or graphics applications that likely will be viewed by those with IE

Since I have such a small monitor, when I reset the display to 1024X768, I also changed the display's text size to a larger one, perhaps this could be the culprit

I do very much appreciate your input, David
Thank you again!

This really is a bit annoying, to say the least, I will check a few things further

I think the "new" forum really IS an excellent improvement!
Thank you for all your efforts in updating these forums and the Chandrakantha.com site, in general, David :wink:

Sincerely,
Indian Music Lover
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #5 
"I also changed the display's text size to a larger one, perhaps this could be the culprit..."

Yeah IML,
The text size makes a huge difference. I'm running Avant Browser, similiar to IE, on both home and work PC's XP2, no problems.

A.
IML

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes indeed, it WAS the text size!

I had it set to medium, the site display definitely improved, the smaller I set the text size, this site appears PERFECTLY at the smallest setting........even the next smaller setting (just before medium) is a huge improvement!

Thanks!
Indian Music Lover
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
I have made some changes in the code which should override user's attempt to change the font sizes in the navigation bar. I hope that this should fix the issue of the navigation bar covering part of the forums.

I would appreciate feedback on whether this fixes the problem.

Peace and Solidarity

David Courtney
IML

Reply with quote  #8 
That fixed the problem, David!

I reset my text size back to medium, and in viewing this forum-site page, the left panel isn't where it shouldn't be, it's exactly where it should be

The very top banner, "Chandra & David's Homepage -http://www.chandrakantha.com" is still a bit cut off at the bottom of the banner, but it doesn't detract from the text and the text is still very readable.....but once I got looking for problems other than the left panel, I noticed.....

Thank you, David!
I can't afford a larger monitor and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, thanks to aging!
So being able to read this using "medium" text size is a blessing!

Om Shanti
Indian Music Lover
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
I think that most of you realize that the majority of sites out there do not allow you to resize text. They do this to maintain artistc control over the layout.

Being on the wrong side of 50 myself, I realize that a many people need the ability to up the size of the text to whatever is comfortable for them. Unfortunately, this means I have almost completely given up control over the layout.

I don't mind losing contol over the layout, because I feel that content is important, not layout. However, sometimes this lack of control means that strange things can happen. When the usabilty of the site is impared, I want to know about it. If it is just a question of things looking strange, then it is just something we will have to live with.

Peace and Solidarity

David Courtney
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #10 
[quote="david
Being on the wrong side of 50 myself,...

You mean the "right" side of 50, right...?

Thanks again for the hard work. One small thing I noticed when REPLYING to a PM - if I hit "Post Reply" instead of "Quote" I also have to enter a 'subject' or the message is rejected. I've lost a couple of messages that way and couldn't retrieve them.

A.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.