INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
gillo

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone seen or made a sitar suitable for hand luggage? Perhaps 'sitar' is the wrong word, as what I am thinking of is a device that mimics the hand positions and main string configurations, allowing for practice without the sound being the main consideration. Current travel sitars are in between this and a normal sitar and aren't really more convenient than a normal sitar for plane travel.

Simon
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Here's a lead to check out...can't offer any of my own opinion, but sounds like something right up your alley!

http://www.sitarmakermiraj.com/inventions.htm
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
My travel sitar is a lot smaller in overall size than my regular sitar, and the case is very slim and small.
I just took it on a trip to Boston and took it on the plane.
Fit easily in the overhead bin.
You can see the difference in these photos.
http://www.dropbox.com/sh/vv28d9a5uy4unpr/7A4drdkPUN#/

The thing you describe is pretty much this.
The sitar is mostly neck.
There is a small extension at the top for tuning machine and a small body on the other end.
It is about as minimal as you can go.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #4 
While we're at it, check out: Travel Sitar Mods (3B) … the white sitar --- at:

http://www.sitarfactory.be

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the replies... I have a travel sitar about the same size as yours cwroyds, it is great as a portable instrument and quite playable. I guess what i am thinking of might be described as an ultra mini Fosse sitar. As small and light as possible, not a hollow wooden instrument, no longer or wider than neck and bridge, and because of that, with fold out foot rest and arm rest, maybe no tarafs to keep it simple, no need for its own case (maybe a soft bag), etc... Maybe it could even fold up?!?

Of couse i would always rather have a sitar or travel sitar, but in some cases, like multiple flights in a short space of time, i could really use something like this. Recently i missed a week of practice on a work trip (6 countries in 7 days), it was feasible only for carry on luggage, and my hands suffered. An ultra portable would at least be good for practice, the sound is secondary.

Also, I don't trust all the airlines to let me carry on the travel sitar in its case, they are becoming quite rigid these days.

Cheers
Simon
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #6 
I get what you are saying.
You just want a neck with strings.
It c could be made fairly easily.
You could even make it foldable, as they have foldable guitars.
http://www.voyageairguitar.com

The only problem is in how to hold it.
You have to have some sort of body shape to hold the left hand thumb and forearm for correct hand positioning.
If you are not in correct position you can do more damage than good with hard practicing.
Even my travel sitar is harder to hold than a regular sitar.
Without a body of some sort it would be near impossible to hold correctly.
gillo

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
Even my travel sitar is harder to hold than a regular sitar.
Without a body of some sort it would be near impossible to hold correctly.
Yes I totally agree, and for that very reason I would prefer a travel sitar with a normal size tabli but flat wooden body - or an adaptable body for comfort. Regarding an ultra portable, desperate times call for desperate measures and it really is mainly about exercise and not so much about complete riyaz.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #8 
Hope you guys checked out my initial link...some lads in Miraj have "invented" a folding sitar specifically for this purpose. If you combine the folding neck with the usual slimmed down travel sitar features (small wooden body, guitar tuners, maybe no taraf) you could get something very feasible I should think. Might be worth contacting them. On the link the folding sitar is shown on the left side of the page.
gillo

Reply with quote  #9 
Nic - yeah saw that, thanks. Classic - looks like he broke it then thought to sell it anyway
I wouldn't consider doing that to a normal sitar, but as you say it may well be worth modifying a cheap travel model.
Cheers
desh

Reply with quote  #10 
In this clip, you can see the eSitar. I recall reading somewhere that there is no body, just a removable frame to rest your arms on. Looks very portable to me.

gillo

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "desh"
In this clip, you can see the eSitar. I recall reading somewhere that there is no body, just a removable frame to rest your arms on. Looks very portable to me.
Looks good, a bit of trimming here and there and it might just be right...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.