INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys,

Getting close to "pulling the trigger" as it were on a transducer that I intend to install on my studio sitar. Basically I have a side jack opening, so what I intend to do is cut the jack off of the transducer that it ships with, drill a very, very small hole in the tabli at some point by the bridge, and affix the transducer on top, with the wire fished through the hole and routed to a switchcraft jack in the jackplate.

I should have access to a decent acoustic preamp as well, so does anyone have any recommendations on a transducer they really like for sitar? I've looked at K&K sound transducers, and right now the frontrunner for me may be the Pickup The World transducer that looks like a strip of tape.

Whats worked best for those of you who have done this yourselves?

Thanks!
dhruvsodha

Reply with quote  #2 
I recently bought a Schertler DYN-E and it's amazing!
It amplifies that sitar in such a way that a listener would think that you're using a mic.
With just a bit of messing with the equalizer (Such as the high frequency needs to be almost on full) and it reproduces a 97% acoustic sound.
Its quite expensive but would definitely recommend it over any other pickup I've used.

Only disadvantage of the Schertler is that it comes with an XLR Male jack. Most pickups I've used come with a 1/4" jack.
Not a big issue tho
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #3 
Yikes!! Yes, that might be out of my range for now...any second favorites in the cheaper field, or ones that you've used that you'd specifically recommend avoiding?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.