Reply with quote  #1 
Style: Ajrada, Jati: Tishra, Taal: Teen

DhaDhaDha | GeNeDhaGene | DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneTiNaKena
DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneDhaGene | DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneTiNaKena
KeNaTinKeNa | TaTaKeNaTaTra | KTikitKeNe | TinNaKena
DhaTraKDhikit | GeneDhaGene | DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneDhiNaGena

Video Reference:
Ustad Zakir Hussain

This particular recording starts from Khali. Around 10 seconds, the whole piece at slow speed begins. One of the best and popular albums of Ustad Zakir Hussain "Magical Moments of Rhythm".

Video Reference:
#t=631s

2012 Guru Purnima program in Bombay.

Book Reference: All good, traditional books have this kaida. Authors or Titles include: "Vintage Tabla Repertory", Pdt. Arvind Mulgaonkar, Pdt. Sudhir Kumar Saxena, Pdt. Sadanand Naimpally, Pdt. Sudhir Mainkar, etc.

Nikas Notes: DhiKit and TiKit are played as DhiTete and TeTete respectively. Notice GeNe versus GeNa. Na is kinar. Ne is ring finger at the bottom edge of the shai. The TIN is phrase 9, I have seen it play open on shai, but at fast speed some also play it on sur. Any Ajrada exponent here can comment.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #2 
Just wanted to say thanks for this.
I didn
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #3 
Welcome!
You have the kaida. You have the recordings. Try it one phrase at a time.

Post your questions. This is an Ajrada classic!. Many folks here should be able to help you.
dinegine

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi
Thanks for posting this, I think its great work you are doing here, but according to my learning the third line is a little different

shouldn't it be
KeNaTinKeNa | Ta-Ta -KeNa | TaTraKTikit | KeNeTinNaKena???

I would also like to suggest that learners should not play these kind of compositions without real guidance from a knowledgeable and established guru. I consider that there are many aspects to this kaida that need fine detail to bring out the Ajrara aesthetic. A subject in itself. But it is all good for overall knowledge of tabla and its repertoire.
(Maybe that debate is for another thread!)

All best
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Style: Ajrada, Jati: Tishra, Taal: Teen

DhaDhaDha | GeNeDhaGene | DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneTiNaKena
DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneDhaGene | DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneTiNaKena
KeNaTinKeNa | TaTaKeNaTaTra | KTikitKeNe | TinNaKena
DhaTraKDhikit | GeneDhaGene | DhaTraKDhiKit | GeneDhiNaGena

Video Reference:
Ustad Zakir Hussain

This particular recording starts from Khali. Around 10 seconds, the whole piece at slow speed begins. One of the best and popular albums of Ustad Zakir Hussain "Magical Moments of Rhythm".

Video Reference:
#t=631s

2012 Guru Purnima program in Bombay.

Book Reference: All good, traditional books have this kaida. Authors or Titles include: "Vintage Tabla Repertory", Pdt. Arvind Mulgaonkar, Pdt. Sudhir Kumar Saxena, Pdt. Sadanand Naimpally, Pdt. Sudhir Mainkar, etc.

Nikas Notes: DhiKit and TiKit are played as DhiTete and TeTete respectively. Notice GeNe versus GeNa. Na is kinar. Ne is ring finger at the bottom edge of the shai. The TIN is phrase 9, I have seen it play open on shai, but at fast speed some also play it on sur. Any Ajrada exponent here can comment.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #5 
Dhinegine - thank you for your acute observation. You are correct!

I missed out on the dashes representing half matra, which displaced my matras.

In what I call, "single speed", the Ta(s) Ta(s) come at matra 4 and 5 independently.

In hind sight, I should have written out the whole thing in 'single speed triplets" to make it look like:
Dha(s) Dha(S) Dha(s) | Gene Dha(s) Gene | .....

Good catch.

Also, may be someone will want to open up a different thread on:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "dinegine"
I would also like to suggest that learners should not play these kind of compositions....
While principally I agree with the statement, I guess my feelings are not so strong as generally believed.

Who said traditional Bandish's are easy? :-)
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #6 
BTW... I should have said. In my post, all the phrases are indeed there, but as Dhinegine accurately pointed out, I had displaced them due to the missing half matra pauses.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.