INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Sharsitar

Reply with quote  #1 
WOW! I just have to share my experience.
A year ago, I had Tony K (http://www.KarasekSound.com ) build a sitar for me. I had almost lost my life & decided while in recovery, that I was going to pursue the things in life I'd always wanted to try/do. It was to be a spiritual journey & a journey it has been! I have been OVERJOYED with the character, quality, structure, sound, aesthetics, workmanship, etc... of this fine instrument. Can't say enough. I am in love with it.
Tony has been promising to drop by Little Rock to visit, restring, check up on his "baby", do jawari, file some pegs, "teach me a few tricks", etc... (Honestly, I thought, "yeah right".)
Last Tuesday he actually arrived & he left yesterday! This whole week my house has buzzed with his talent. His playing is equally as stunning as his workmanship! His entertaining stories, lively personality, infectuous nature & talent have been a joy for my husband, daughter & myself. We have so enjoyed him.
I have crippled along with books, shared information from my friend Craig Jordan in Missouri, cds, etc..., but to have someone whose shoulder you can look over & someone who PATIENTLY TEACHES is something totally different.
He has also patiently taught my husband lots on the tabla.
This has been a complete honor & we all feel as if we have made an invaluable lifetime friend!
Before you find yourself a sitar, call Tony. It is rare to find someone who takes this much pride in his/her work, & has a plethora of knowledge of the instrument & other instruments as well as Indian Classical Music! :wink:

NOT TO MENTION "CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH A SMILE"!!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. We are honored to have hosted you for a week, had a great time & can't wait until next visit.
princessjesusbopeep

Reply with quote  #2 
aw thats really cool
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes Shar we are indeed fortunate to have a friend like Tony & oh! what sitars we have! . I got all the same impressions as you, it's true he's a GREAT GUY, with a wonderful sense of humor, as well as his artistic tallents. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with him, and I most enjoyed the conversation I had with your husband when he and Tony called. From what Tony has said to me you have quite a musical family, & the good feelings and friendship you express were felt on both sides.
Any chance of pics &/or sound bites of your baby?
Good luck in your studies & musical journey.

Brian Dering
Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #4 
Yeah, Tony is very very nice and willing to give of his time even to a total stranger. I emailed him a long time ago about sending him an old Naskars Sitar that had a crack gourd and needed a full overhaul. It had been sitting on a shelf at an antiques store for decades and needed everything done to it. After a few emails back and forth (With the help of Hamletsghost who was kind enough to pass along my info to Tony, Thanks Brian, You are a stellar dude) Tony emailed that he would be coming through Los Angeles and could work on my sitar at my house. Unfortunately, when he called to say the date he would be in LA I told him that my Sitar would not be here yet as it was in Boston and had to be shipped. I missed the great opportunity to have his skills put into my sitar. BUT once he knew our meeting would not work out he started telling me how I could do it myself. He spend a good half hour on the phone giving me detailed instructions on how to fix the gourd, what materials to use, how exactly to perform the operation, and how to finish the job so it looks good.

Anyone who will spend that kind of time and interest in someone they dont even know is truly a generous kind person worthy of praise and respect. I think he is a fantastic person, and a master craftsman. I have spent a great deal of time drooling over the sitars on his site. Someday when I need to add a new sitar to my stable I will certainly go to Tony to create the monster sitar I have in my head. I don't think there is any source for sitars that allows you so much personal input into the design.
Plus his sitars are so detailed and beautiful.

And to those few in the forum who like to rag on Tony for various reasons I would say this....The proof is in the pudding. Look at the sitars he is creating. That is the test. And it is a test that he passes with flying colors.

Tony Karasek ROCKS!!!!!
Much props to the Sitarfixer.
(I personally think the name "Sitarfixer" does not give him enough credit)
Sharsitar

Reply with quote  #5 
Hamletsghost,
Yes, I'll try to find your email & pm you w/some pics. I'd like to have pics of yours too. Soundbites, hmm... may wait for that! May not sound too good yet, :roll: as I am still learning, but on my way there thanks to TK!!!

cwroyds,
Yes, to sum him up, he takes pride in his work & really has a genuine concern & respect for instruments & music.
I always say, "Nada Brahma", (Sound is God). He shares that feeling.
This is the type individual you want to build an instrument as sacred as a sitar!! :wink:
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #6 
Hey Shar check out my post on the sitar forum - "MY NEW SITAR FROM SITARFIXERJI" for some pics & story of my new axe from Tony - Can't wait to hear from you folks & see your beauty.

Hamletsghost 8)

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.