Ti - Middle
Ra - Index
Ki - Baya flat hand
Ta - Ring and Pinky together
Tuk - Index

Exercise could be:
1. Dha TiRaKita Dha TiRaKiTa Ta TiRaKiTa Ta TiRaKiTa
2. Dha TiRaKiTaTuk TukTiRaKiTaTuk Ta TiRaKiTaTuk TukTiRaKiTaTuk

I find the second one to be much easier to execute. My wrist stays straight, fingers don't bend, and I can go much faster and longer. Most importantly, the bols are fairly crisp and clear.

While the first one, I cannot go as fast and as long. More importantly, wrist tends to cock up and angle to the right and fast speeds, bols are not clear. At slow or medium speeds, it comes out good.

Besides practice, which is obvious and I do, anyone have have similar experiences? Looking for suggestions on possibly modified exercises or posture to correct the wrist cocking and angling to the right in the first sequence of bols at faster speeds.
Authourity Song

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks a lot for showing that. I didn't know how to play Tuk. ops:
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #3 
One of the problems, and it's a common one, is with writing and recitation of the bols. Where the mind and the mouth go, the fingers follow.

It isn't - "Dha TiRaKita" - it's Dha - ti ra ki ta
or Dha a ti ra ki ta (2x3) (Two bols per beat, three beats.)

likewise, it's Dha a ti ra ki ta ta ka (2x4)

You're fingers are falling over one another because they're trying to make up for the lost pause after Dha(a) and the lost ka after tirakitata(k).

Play it slow - REAL slow (30 bpm) - and EVEN - with a METRONOME for each stroke or pause. Ramp the tempo up 1 bpm a day over a month's practice. Relax!! Give one bol emphasis, play that for a week, then give another bol emphasis. e.g.;

Dha - ti ra ki ta or,
Dha - ti ra ki ta or,
Dha - ti ra ki ta etc.

Reply with quote  #4 
i'm not aware of any exercises to correct the cocking of the wrist. for me it is more of a conscious effort. slow it down until you can play with your wrist straight and then incrementally increase the speed while focusing on your wrist.

-r
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks A. and R.

That was really helpful.

Yes, that Dha A Ti Ra Ki Ta seems to work. I buy the hand/mind/write comment.

For this, I dusted off the old metronome based on the suggestion and started playing with it. Seems to be working. Will practice for a week and then check progress.

Thanks and looking forward to other people's comments as well.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #6 
How about this Riyaz Bols 8)

(Dha Tira kita TaK ) 4 times
(Tak Tira kita TaK ) 4 Times
(Dhere Dhere Kita TaK ) 4 Times
(Tun Na Tira Kita) 4 times.

Tak = Ta with index finger on the middle of syahi and K on Bayan
Tun = both K(on bayan) and open tin on Dayan, to be played together.
you have to play these in the above sequence. Worth Practicing.

---

Upendra
anandmehta1099

Reply with quote  #7 
actually that is a composition played a lot by Gudai Maharaj (RIP)
at123

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sohummusicals"

---

Upendra
The Ta in TaK is not played at the same time as the K.

TaK is played as two separate bols, Ta followed by K on the bayan.

So, do Dha-TiRiKiTaTaK requires 8 beats to complete assuming 1 beat/bol including one beat for the silent '-'.

at123
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "at123"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sohummusicals"

---

Upendra
The Ta in TaK is not played at the same time as the K.

TaK is played as two separate bols, Ta followed by K on the bayan.

So, do Dha-TiRiKiTaTaK requires 8 beats to complete assuming 1 beat/bol including one beat for the silent '-'.

at123
at123, Did i say Ta and K has to be played together?
I think you didn't see that I had written 'K' in Capital Letter, because people often mistake it as Tak which is one bol played on Dayan alone. The Capital K always means a seperate bol. If it was to be played together then I would have mentioned it like how i did in case of Tun(To be played together).
The reason why i put space between the Dha TiRa KiTa Tak was the same, to count 4 different Matras. So its a common sense to know that where there is one bol, there should be a pause of 1/2 matra after that.
---
Upendra
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #10 
This is a very important distinction Upendra is trying to make in the way he wrote his exercises versus the way I wrote my exercises. I have learned the same way. If its Tak, its one beat versus if its TaK, its two beats.

To some degree, I find this to be an advantage of writing the bols in English where you can differentiate the number of beats by using upper case and lower case however my question is how do you do that when the bandish's (Compositions) are written in hindi? For example: तक could be Tak or TaK. :?
rapture

Reply with quote  #11 
i've always gone by the notation Tak and TaKa, which clears up the difference between the two.

-r
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
This is a very important distinction Upendra is trying to make in the way he wrote his exercises versus the way I wrote my exercises. I have learned the same way. If its Tak, its one beat versus if its TaK, its two beats.

To some degree, I find this to be an advantage of writing the bols in English where you can differentiate the number of beats by using upper case and lower case however my question is how do you do that when the bandish's (Compositions) are written in hindi? For example: तक could be Tak or TaK. :?
Harshji,
Its much easier to write and understand in Devnagri(Hindi or Marathi) than in english. Here it is.. how its written in Hindi/Marathi

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8620/takws1.jpg

--
Upendra
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #13 
Ahha - now I know what the line under tak in the marathi script means versus just tak when it comes to tabla compositions. I can read and write both hindi and marathi both, but was stuck on differentiating exactly this; the difference between Tak versus Tak. Got it now :-)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.