INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Oh, nic, something I realized has not been mentioned.

Try to keep your fingers together when you're doing the jhalla strokes. You want the whole hand to move smoothly and evenly. The eventual power, speed and control comes from the whole hand, not from one or two fingers.
Ahhh, you pain me because you mention my as-yet greatest weakness...years of playing bass with a typically one-finger-at-a-time technique has given me good speed with my index finger independent of the other fingers. So I can play with modest beginner's dexterity with my index finger independently, but if I force myself to lock the other three fingers with the index finger, I play like a little girl with a broken hand, to paraphrase Mr. Van Halen.

I suppose I can chalk this up to another bad habit I will have to carefully unlearn!
povster

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Oh, nic, something I realized has not been mentioned.

Try to keep your fingers together when you're doing the jhalla strokes. You want the whole hand to move smoothly and evenly. The eventual power, speed and control comes from the whole hand, not from one or two fingers.
Ahhh, you pain me because you mention my as-yet greatest weakness...years of playing bass with a typically one-finger-at-a-time technique has given me good speed with my index finger independent of the other fingers. So I can play with modest beginner's dexterity with my index finger independently, but if I force myself to lock the other three fingers with the index finger, I play like a little girl with a broken hand, to paraphrase Mr. Van Halen.

I suppose I can chalk this up to another bad habit I will have to carefully unlearn!
I weep. :wink:

But the important thing you already know is you are not setting out to sit down next week and rip off an amazing jhalla. You are just in the process of starting to learn it. I know with your background you will be able to succeed. Take your time, pay attention to form, ignore the speed and go into it without expectations of immediate greatness. Persistence will start paying off and exponential gains will be the reward.

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #18 
Interesting thing I found tonight with me actually paying alert attention to practice...in "jhalla" type strokes, my entire hand does move, it is just with the melodic lines on the bajtar in other contexts I tend to let my finger move independently. So I was actually making a false assumption on my own right hand technique.

Practicing things you are bad at is less fun than doing things you are better at, but its the only way to improve, so I'll be focusing a bit on jhalla for a while.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.