INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tsusinno

Reply with quote  #1 
This may sound silly but I have been trying to teach myself tabla for 2 years and suddenly find myself
unsure about the correct way to play Tin. I did take several lessons and was shown 2 types of Tin.
1. He called "Long Tin" played like Naa but on the Maiden (it was almost fully muted)
2. He called "Short Tin" like a light version of Naa also on the maiden...unmuted.
I am thinking about it so much I'm confusing myself!...any hints?

Thanks!!!
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #2 
There are two types of Tin's. One played on the shai and the other played on the maidan. Both are resonant. The level of resonance is dependent on the composition being played.

Example, Tin in tinakena is shai while the tin in Teen tall is typically is maidan. Hope this helps.
Dhani_

Reply with quote  #3 
Another tip that might help: if you are playing tin on maidan, striking with a small amount of forward momentum generally gives the best sound. If it is done correctly, the middle finger should come back up next to or slightly above the index.
Something that also helps is shifting the focus of force from the fingertip to the middle joint immediately after the fingertip strikes the maidan.

Dhani
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.