INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #1 
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOIA/2010/01/16&PageLabel=3&EntityId=Ar00302&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

Todays Times ~ Ragmale got the early scoop Before the paper even And see what I mean by ignorance of ICM even here ~ they call it a JUGALBANDHI between the Sarod and the Ustad. I have also heard many people here say "The Jugalbandhi of Shiv-Kumar-Ji and Ustad Zakir Hussein was amazing. Its called Sangat ~ we ALL know that ~ the Indians themselves don't. Again ~ no matter what color skin or geographic location ~ only 5-10 percent of the world truly (at least tries to - or stays quiet and learns) "understands" this music. Everyone on this forum is part of that 5-10 percent.
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "anandvyasorg"
Its called Sangat ~ we ALL know that ~ the Indians themselves don't.
You’re not Indian?
Anyway, I must suggest that anyone who writes of a ”jugalbandi between a musician and his instrument” is doing it because he is trying to be cute, smart, funny etc, and not because he doesn’t know what a jugalbandi is. He knows pretty well what a jugalbandi is, and that’s how he can make that joke, even if you don’t think it’s funny,

Reply with quote  #3 
Actually many Indians (born in India especially) misuse the term "Jugalbandhi". I am am Indian ~ but I was born in America. WE do not that (misuse the term) because we had to learn the terms correctly. Here (as my earlier post states about 5-10 percent of the people of of any country listens to ICM anyway) I also write for the Times Ahmedabad and have talked to many people who use this"mis-nomer". No one is "trying" to be cute or anything ~ it is a National NewsPaper ? Like my beloved Kaki calling my Sitar "Tamboura" for the past 10 years. Priceless
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #4 
And UstadJi did not call it a "Jugalbandi" ~ The Times Did
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #5 
I still think it was supposed to be wordplay — to make the instrument sound like a person, who plays duets with the musician. But we don’t know what went on in the reporter’s head so I will admit it is just an optimistic guess. I totally see your point how low the standards can be when Indian newspapers write about music!

Reply with quote  #6 
panchamkauns, that was my take as well, that the reporter was trying to use wordplay to express the relationship between mucisian and instrument. I thought, in that context, it was sweetly expressed.
Lukecash12

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "anandvyasorg"
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOIA/2010/01/16&PageLabel=3&EntityId=Ar00302&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

Todays Times ~ Ragmale got the early scoop Before the paper even And see what I mean by ignorance of ICM even here ~ they call it a JUGALBANDHI between the Sarod and the Ustad. I have also heard many people here say "The Jugalbandhi of Shiv-Kumar-Ji and Ustad Zakir Hussein was amazing. Its called Sangat ~ we ALL know that ~ the Indians themselves don't. Again ~ no matter what color skin or geographic location ~ only 5-10 percent of the world truly (at least tries to - or stays quiet and learns) "understands" this music. Everyone on this forum is part of that 5-10 percent.
I'd have to say I'm in the staying quite and learning stages. It's hilarious to think of myself going back and starting on the grunt-work once again after two decades.

anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #8 
I absolutely see your point ~ but I asked the Times (the Office is down the street) ~ they admitted the writer thought a "Solo" meant with no Tabla ~ and a "Jugalbandhi" was with tabla. I then corrected them but when on to ask "Why say a Jugalbandi between the Sarod and the Ustad?" ~ The writer admittedly said that's what he thought they are called. Its not ignorance but the Fine Arts are many times not "understood". That said its no big deal ~ i kinda like the idea of Jugalbandi between the master and his instrument
Also they thought what is actually a Jugalbandi (two Melody players) was a Duet Not in ICM. They know now.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.