INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarman

Reply with quote  #1 
So here's a new thread thread (hey, it's a better line than my saw Saw routine in the other post... BUT SERIOUSLY - any opinions on whether one type of fret tying thread is better than another? Any that is more break resistent? Also, it seems the traditional tying knot and technique has been around forever and I am glad to say I've gotten good at it over the years, not that i look forward to tying those things, but does anyone have an alternate technique they found works better- just curious. Again, thread suggestions welcome- I need to find some locally today.
coyootie

Reply with quote  #2 
loop about 4-5" of one end, tie a knot leaving ca.3/8" open loop. proceed with wraps around neck, then pull the end under the fret and tie it off firmly with a couple of knots, trim the ends to ca. 3/16", melt/seal the ends with a match or carefully held lighter.
I've just done 3 sitars with some red nylon cord which has just the right combo of stretch and strength. the frets are in place like rocks!
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
Not to needle you about the thread but...BADDABING!

See if there is a bead store nearby (a place that sells jewelry beads and accessories). Most of them stock a twisted (or it may be called braided) nylon stringing thread. It comes in a variety of colors, including a very attractive honey brown. Look for size 8 (in this thread the higher the number the thicker it is.) I started with size 6 and it works in a pinch but overall it turned out to be a too thin. But as an emergency fix it will work. Just be careful with applying too much pressure on the first pass causde it will tend to break until there is a layer of itself to act as a "padding". hmmmm.....

sitarman

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Povster- there are a coupe of good bead stores here. As for Coyootie's slightly different approach to the old well published method, sounds like a good thing to check out. I'll give it a try. Thanks, guys!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
RioGrande.com Gold #3 Braided nylon.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.