INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
andrew

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,

I've been a member of this forum since I was thirteen (I'm eighteen now), but during a long period of inactivity the email address associated with my account was deleted, so I've created a new account.

I'm picking up the tabla again after years of inactivity, and I'd love a bit of feedback on my progress so far. I have a fairly decent intuition for technique as far as I can tell, but it's hard for me to gauge my own playing, so I'd love it if other people could share their thoughts:



Thanks,
Andrew
0
evening84

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #2 
Oh ... to be young again ...

Lovely playing - great technique. Keep it up.

__________________
My karma ran over your dogma
http://evening84.blogspot.com/
0
Tablatastic

Registered:
Posts: 43
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for sharing Andrew.

Enjoyed listening to it. You play well and nice technique.
0
edm_tabla

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #4 
I am not an expert but I really enjoyed your playing. May I ask what is the approximate bpm?

Thanks,
0
andrew

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks much for the encouraging comments. If you have any critiques, please feel free to share them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "edm_tabla"
I am not an expert but I really enjoyed your playing. May I ask what is the approximate bpm?
It's a drut tempo; a little tinkering with a metronome puts it around 145bpm. It fluctuates, though, so that's a very rough approximation.

Andrew
0
jaysitar22

Member
Registered:
Posts: 70
Reply with quote  #6 
Hey,
I think your doing well, you have a lot of chops, I was curious do you have a teacher or are you self taught?
My tabla playing is not up to that level, (I have been studying tabla 7 months, but have been learning others instruments longer)

A few months ago I was given a cd of Afaq Hussein Khan, who is from Lucknow Gharana. Just on listening to his rendition, his tone is somehow sweet, and mellow, and the demeanor is relaxed and sophisticated. His solo has character changes and dynamics. There are some recordings on youtube. Also, the book by James Kippens, "Tabla of Lucknow" has a few chapters at the end describing the musical philosophies and techniques of Afaq and Lucknow gharana.

I think music is like a language and a tabla solo is like a story. if the whole time the narrator of a story shouted, it would be boring, and become jarring after a while. Tabla can have dynamics, nuance and inflection just like a story or a poem or a solo Bach piece, music is like rhetoric in a way.

So my point is that tabla can have a warm tone, sweet tone, and that character changes help to make a solo more interesting. On the other side it is important to have chops and be able to play impressively. But music is subjective, so take it or leave it, as long as you play in a manner that you are happy with.

__________________
"If a man follows the mind given him and makes it his teacher, then who can be without a teacher?"
“To be truly ignorant, be content with your own knowledge.”
-Chuang Tzu
0
edm_tabla

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "andrew"
Thanks much for the encouraging comments. If you have any critiques, please feel free to share them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "edm_tabla"
I am not an expert but I really enjoyed your playing. May I ask what is the approximate bpm?
It's a drut tempo; a little tinkering with a metronome puts it around 145bpm. It fluctuates, though, so that's a very rough approximation.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew!
0
andrew

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaysitar22"
Hey,
I think your doing well, you have a lot of chops, I was curious do you have a teacher or are you self taught?
Thanks. I started at age 11 with a local teacher for the first year or so, but I've been self-taught since then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaysitar22"
I think music is like a language and a tabla solo is like a story. if the whole time the narrator of a story shouted, it would be boring, and become jarring after a while. Tabla can have dynamics, nuance and inflection just like a story or a poem or a solo Bach piece, music is like rhetoric in a way.
Beautifully said.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.