INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
proxmire

Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone know what the average thickness of a tabla head is? The standard mylar drum head is around 10mils (millionths of an inch), so I am guessing from the calcutta heads I have seen, they are maybe around double that, but it's impossible to tell without digital calipers.

Also, does anyone know what a good size tabla is for a low c#?
Tablatastic

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi

Not sure on average size but thickness but for a low C#.

It may not be best to generalise size and pitch as depending on how good maker is can make sometimes a high C# on 5.75" and so on.

You can say average around 7" for low octave C# I guess as I have this type of tabla.

Hope that helps.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #3 
Low C# pitch can be achieved perfectly using a 7.25" diameter shell, ofcourse that also depends on the diameter of the syahi. usually the diameter and thickness ( No. of layers) of syahi plays an important role in the sound quality and the Pitch as well.
-U
proxmire

Reply with quote  #4 
thanks. I figured around 7" or more. That would probably be pretty hard to play.

Also, a "mil" is a thousandth of an inch, not millionth, sorry.
VNO Design

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "proxmire"
Anyone know what the average thickness of a tabla head is? The standard mylar drum head is around 10mils (millionths of an inch), so I am guessing from the calcutta heads I have seen, they are maybe around double that, but it's impossible to tell without digital calipers.

Also, does anyone know what a good size tabla is for a low c#?
To answer the original question on this thread, the average thickness of Tabla skins vary from about .007" to .015" (those measurements are in thousanths of an inch, measured with a micrometer). Typically the maker will use the thicker portions of the hide for the Chati and the thinner portions for the Maidan but not always. For instance, I measured a Chati from Somnath at .015" and the Maidan off the same head at .009 inches. One of the Calcutta heads came in at .011" for the Chati and .009" for the Maidan.

It seems that the thickness of the synthetic Mylar heads is approximately the same. One small point is that you certainly don't need digital calipers for this measurement. The most accurate tool for this type of reading is a micrometer, and next would be calipers as they have a higher margain for error, (around +/- .001" out of the box) Digital tools are no more accurate at all than their mechanical counterparts.

Hope this helps, and best to you!

-David

proxmire

Reply with quote  #6 
Yeah, that's interesting. I sometimes use synthetic heads for various drums that are up to 20 mils. I thought tabla heads would be thicker. I wonder why they are so thin, seeing as though the heads are muted from both the top and especially from the bottom, and a thicker head has more sustain. You'd think they would make a thicker head with a thinner underlay (whatever the underside "chati" is called), since often people use string to raise the chati and mute it less.

I guess you can only have so much tension, and a thicker head would require too much.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.