INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 
My sitar has an annoying high pitched squeak when I meend from shuddha ghandar fret. The squeak seems to be coming from a fret lower than middle sa. I've cleaned the string and shined the frets but it still squeaks. Any advice?

I remember noticing a similar sound on Ravi Shankars Bhimpalasi from intro to ICM, same squeak except from komal gha. Listen if you have it.

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
My sitar has an annoying high pitched squeak when I meend from shuddha ghandar fret. The squeak seems to be coming from a fret lower than middle sa. I've cleaned the string and shined the frets but it still squeaks. Any advice?

I remember noticing a similar sound on Ravi Shankars Bhimpalasi from intro to ICM, same squeak except from komal gha. Listen if you have it.
Right off the bat I have to ask if you are using oil on your fingers and also on your frets?

When you say you've cleaned the frets, how and with what?

How old is the string?

Have you used graphite on your bridge at all and have you also used graphite in the holes of your upper bridges?

Reply with quote  #3 
Right off the bat I have to ask if you are using oil on your fingers and also on your frets?

No, I don't use oil.

Microfiber cloth

How old is the string?

around 2 months

Have you used graphite on your bridge at all and have you also used graphite in the holes of your upper bridges?

Never used graphite.

Upon further investigation I have found out that it only squeaks if re fret is moved to komal position.

Reply with quote  #4 
I get a bit of friction sometimes on mine (gandhar fret as well). Seems to have gotten better lately for whatever reason. Might help to isolate it to the exact fret its scraping against....
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:

No, I don't use oil.

Microfiber cloth

How old is the string?

around 2 months

Never used graphite.

Upon further investigation I have found out that it only squeaks if re fret is moved to komal position.
Just an few ideas then, try some 00 steel wool on the fret, and some baby oil on the fret as well as your finger and see how that does. I've had this issue on one sitar and it has gone away.

I simply took a fine file to the fret, 00 wool, etc...shazam it was gone.

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi, all.

Chris,

I've noticed that as well.
Anyway:
If the squeak happens only when the fret is moved to 1 of its 2 positions, then it's likely to be innocent: it sounds like some other stuff (- the STRING?) might be the culprit: clean it around the kRe location ... or sub it.

Hope this helps.
Have fun.
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
I've cleaned the string and shined the frets but it still squeaks. Any advice?
The last time that happened to me it was because one of the frets behind the fret I was playing was higher than the fret I was playing or the fret immediately behind that. It might be good to check the fret heights in that area. Btw: no amount of cleaning and polishing helped me at all. Fret leveling was one answer and raising the slot in the nut was another. I chose to work the high fret down.

I hope this helps.

-Allen

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.