INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
BobCW

Reply with quote  #16 
I received my string winder on Monday. For $10, it did exactly what I wanted it to do -- looped the tarab and chikaris strings. That's 16 strings looped in no time. Made re-string my sitar must quicker - for me anyway. However, it would be nice if the maker had a statement that made it clear the string winder is best used for light gauge strings.

Reply with quote  #17 
It's a nifty gadget but not really for me as I'm always making loops. Much faster by hand and also these don't make self tightening loops. Great for tar, saz and other instruments though. On the shelf it goes....

Lars

Reply with quote  #18 
Got mine, and have been staring at it a bit not quite sure how exactly it works Again, if anybody wants to generously provide a step-by-step in the Queen's E., I would be most grateful!

One of these days I need to do a full restring on my baby, vs the usual "string change by attrition" as strings wear or break. If it does work well for chik and tarb, that would be nice to get it going!
katyrow

Reply with quote  #19 
I too could also use an explanation of how to use it. I thought that there were supposed to be instructions on the packaging, but I didn't see any. Thanks!
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "katyrow"
I too could also use an explanation of how to use it. I thought that there were supposed to be instructions on the packaging, but I didn't see any. Thanks!
INSTRUCTIONS :?: :roll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
Got mine, and have been staring at it a bit not quite sure how exactly it works Again, if anybody wants to generously provide a step-by-step in the Queen's E., I would be most grateful!

One of these days I need to do a full restring on my baby, vs the usual "string change by attrition" as strings wear or break. If it does work well for chik and tarb, that would be nice to get it going!
IN ENGLISH :?:

Oh I wet 'EM ops:

Reply with quote  #21 
Actually there are instructions on the package....
There is a picture that show how to connect the string.

I personally like this tool. Mainly because it makes very elegant loops. I also use it for the main string. After a couple of loops, I disconnect the end of the string and pass it through the hole. Then I attach it again to the screw and makes a few more loops which go above the first ones. The result is very tight and elegant knot.
It does not take a lot more time than my regular way and as I said it is much more tighter and elegant.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #22 
" Grasp thy errant wire firmly in thy hand, holding firm the conviction that verily, a loop shall indeed come forth. Holding this poxy contraption upon a sold surface with the vexing clamps reaching skyward, place the God cursed wire into the left clamp and twist it down. With said wire secure, allow a bit of slack and fasten the remaining wire to the other clamp. With this wire now ready to receive its punishment, push the spindle in so that the notched end catches the slack wire. With the wire secure in the spindle, twist the spindle until the windings commence. Yea, unto thee, behold, a proud loop is born and ready to serve. Lest ye be cursed with bleeding fingers, trim the surplus wire end off at the windings end. "

Reply with quote  #23 
OMG Tony, that was the BEST description! I was laughing so hard my wife wanted to know what was so funny!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.