INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
kalyan

Reply with quote  #1 
I just wanted to share a few pics of a unique sitar that I just got finished doing a refurbishing on. It came to me with the neck broken off so I had the chance to redo the joint , but it sat with me for a number of years until recently I had a chance to clean it up and make some new frets for it and set it up. It is the largest sitar I have ever seen really somewhere between a sitar and a surbuhar it is pictured here next a regular sized sitar so you can see the size. I thought it would be way to boomy but it actually sounds great very clear and strong tone and play great at b or c. check it out.I am trying to make a sound sample but my playing is pretty bad
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/yeman5/IMG_1881.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/yeman5/IMG_1879.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/yeman5/1a65f511-1118-4ca9-b20e-4b6149f66da8.jpg
At first i was going to try to sell it as I am not really a sitarist but now it is going to be hard as I am becoming attached :?
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow. That is a monstrous sitar.
It is HUGE.
Must have been made for a very large individual.
Would love to hear the sound.
kalyan

Reply with quote  #3 
I pieced together a couple short clips of what I could stand of my "playing" I think you get a rough idea of the potential. The bass strings are one spot where this instrument really shines but I really can't do anything with them, but I hacked on them anyway just because. The sound is a bit harsh because it is just the mike on my still camera.I did jewari more open then I usually make them but it seemed to fit this instrument for some reason.

Again I am not a sitarist this is just to show the instrument.
Kalyan

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #4 
Maybe the person who ordered it wanted a sitar built especially for Drupad.
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
Key Kalyan! Nice piece of wood there! :wink:

I am really surprised how this one came out. Sounds really good. Are you using standard string gauges?

CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow! That is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to have a sitar very much like that one day. Thanks for sharing, great work on restoring a beautiful instrument.
kalyan

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks guys I am really happy with it so far
I went up a gauge on all the strings but the midlle sa .016 so, Ma #4 ..013 pa.025 low sa .030 and .010 #1 on the symps I think the chicaris are .009/ #0 on both the sa's and .010 /#1on the pa.
The sound seemed to tighten up quite a bit withe heavier strings and the thicker frets, not nearly as boomy as before
Kalyan

kalyan

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
Maybe the person who ordered it wanted a sitar built especially for Drupad.
I guess it must be something like that, basically a surbitar.
Kalyan

yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi, all.

Kalyan,
TM had something like this some 2 yrs ago, but these doesn't seem to come up often (Just a guess): probably built or inspired by 1940-'60s sitars, is it?
Interesting find & nice restoration.

I'm into large sitars so if you can find the time, please care to post its mm string length (targahan to jawari ridge, main string) measurement.
Thanks in advance, as for the posted pix & string specs.

Have fun,
Y.
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #10 
Every time I think about the clarity of this sitar's tone (given its large size) and the convenience for recording in different keys, I can't help but wish I had a room big enough to accommodate another larger sitar just like this one. Alas, my wife wants to know when I'm going to sell off a sitar or two.

Reply with quote  #11 
Yussef,
I think you are right the sitar is probably from the 60's or earlier (it belonged to someones grandmother), but it does not really feel that old that may be because it has not really been played all that much and the neck joint has been redone. I think it may be from Varanasi as two people have said it has the same basic decorations that their sitars from Varanasi had.
The vibrating string length is about 37 inches/ 94 cm, overall length is 52.25 inches / 133 cm. the tabli is just under 17 inches across or 43 cm and the main gourd is 12 inches/ 30.5cm deep
Allen
The thing that surprised me the most about this sitar was that the ma string has such a clear defined tone, I really expected it to have big bass string sound but be a bit muddy and boomy in the treble end like so many of the larger older sitars I have come across. I know what you mean about having space in the room I think this thing has just put my personal collection one over the limit but I am not sure I will be able to let it go.
Kalyan

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.