INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted here, and I thought- "why not give it a go again?"

Over the last few years, I've noticed more and more how important it is to change strings and mizrabs often. How often depends on a few factors- most importantly how much you play, how hard you play, and the climate in which you're living. If you play a lot or play with gusto, you'll need to change your ma string and chikaris at least every 2-3 weeks to get the ideal tone and playability. As you play, the strings loose their elasticity, but more importantly they get bent from the frets and the mizrab. These bends disrupt the tone, making the string ring untrue. Mandolinists, and guitarists know this phenomenon well...

If its humid where you live, you'll have to change your steel strings more often. A wet climate promotes rust which can not only make your sitar sound bad, but it can also hasten the deterioration of your jawari.

The bronze Sa string should be changed every 4-6 weeks. The Karaj/Pancham (if you have them) should be changed every 6-12 months. I can't tell you how often I've done hours of jawari with the bass strings just not coming to life, only to change them and have it sound perfect!

Tarabs are less worrisome. But, if you want to stay on top of it, you should change your tarabs every 3-4 months, and definitely after the rainy season, if there is one where you live.

Remember- changing your strings frequently will help your jawari last longer and sound better. Enjoy!

And change your mizrab too! I don't really understand why this is, but a fresh mizrab always makes my sitar sound much better. My mizrabs develop grooves on the playing surfaces after about 2-3 months and I'm sure this plays a role. But It never fails to amaze me how much a new mizrab can make things sound better.

Enjoy!
Josh

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
WELCOME BACK O' JOSHUA

I'm sure we all say - It's been too long.
Hope this finds you well & thanks as always for the sage advice.

For the newbie's here Joshua is a gifted performer who has worked incredibly hard to perfect his art. Check him out and read his past post's in the archives.
LOT's of good - practical info and advice from long riyaz, trial & error.
ALSO
Go to his site & check out his clips & downloads. Sweet stuff - for sure.

Brian 8)

Reply with quote  #3 
I always become 'attached' to my mizrabs and despair when I lose or break one!!
I have 3 on the go...it depends how long I've been playing, if I do a 6 hour stint I change to a loose fitting one. If I have a break from the sitar for a few days I use a tight fitting one to get the grip.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #4 
I just took a close look at my Baaj tar and noticed that there were a few crinks in the wire around the 'D and 'n == I had not noticed it before

I will change it and see what happens

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Joshua
Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted here, and I thought- "why not give it a go again?"

Over the last few years, I've noticed more and more how important it is to change strings and mizrabs often. How often depends on a few factors- most importantly how much you play, how hard you play, and the climate in which you're living. If you play a lot or play with gusto, you'll need to change your ma string and chikaris at least every 2-3 weeks to get the ideal tone and playability. The strings looses its elasticity from playing, but more importantly, it gets bent from the frets and the bols. These bends disrupt the tone making it sound out of tune when it should be in tune. Violinists, mandolinists, and guitarists know this phenomenon well...

If its wet where you live, you'll have to change your steel strings more often than if it where dry. A wet climate promotes rust which can not only make your sitar sound bad, but it can also quicken the deterioration of your jawari.

The bronze Sa string should be changed every 4-6 weeks. The Karaj/Pancham (if you have them) should be changed every 6 months. I can't tell you how often I've done hours of jawari with the bass strings just not coming to life, only to change them and have it sound perfect!

Tarabs are less worrisome. But, if you want to stay on top of it, you should change your tarabs every 3-4 months, and definitely after the rainy season.

Remember- changing your strings frequently will help your jawari last longer and sound better. Enjoy!

And change your mizrab too! I don't really understand why this is, but a fresh mizrab always makes my sitar sound much better. My mizrabs develop grooves on the playing surfaces after about 2-3 months and I'm sure this plays a role. But It never fails to amaze me how much a new mizrab can make things sound better.

Josh
Ah, good, please send me all of your used mizrabs then, you have my address, right?

Good to see you here! We need to see you post your concerts below!

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Om Guy,

Were you at the Subterranean Art House?! I didn't know! Sorry I had to cut that short- I really wanted to see Swapanda's concert. He played amazing!!!!

Best,
Josh

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Joshua
Hi Om Guy,

Were you at the Subterranean Art House?! I didn't know! Sorry I had to cut that short- I really wanted to see Swapanda's concert. He played amazing!!!!

Best,
Josh
Hey Josh!

No, my knee is out and I'm not going too far these days. But I did save 15% on my car insurance because of it!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.