INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi to all here from the sitar forum.
It is with sadness & regret we announce the passing away of supreme Sarod builder Hemen Sen.
Here's the link to newspaper 'The Indian's report.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncategorized/sarod-maker-hemen-sen-dies_100297869.html

Kolkata, Jan 2 (IANS) Famed sarod and sitar maker Hemen Sen died after a massive cardiac arrest at his south Kolkata residence Saturday morning, his family said. He was 87.
Sen received the Hafiz Ali Khan Award from then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2003. He is survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters.

Legendary sarod players like Amjad Ali Khan and Ali Akbar Khan and world renowned sitarist Ravi Shankar were among those who preferred playing instruments made by Sen.

Expressing his condolences over Sen’s death, Amjad Ali Khan described him as the “greatest sarod maker”.

“Hemen and Co.’s musical instruments were a favourite among musicians in various countries including the US, Spain, Germany, Switzerland and Egypt,” Sen’s daughter Rina Banerjee told IANS.

Sen, who learnt to play the sitar and the sarod from a teacher in Bangladesh, received the blessings of Ustad Alauddin Khan at a young age.

Nick
AlamKhan

Reply with quote  #2 
The loss of Sri Hemendra Sen known to many as ( Hemen Babu) is a huge one for this world. He was such a dedicated and simple man who worked tirelessly his whole life. A true master of his craft who created many kinds of instruments along with the most beautiful Sarod's of today. A man who always treated me with such warmth and love like part of his own family. I am so honored and blessed to have known him and to have the Sarod's which he made for me and my family. I will always cherish the times we shared and his sweet smile. He was a human being that cannot be replaced but will live on in our hearts. I would also like to thank him from the bottom of my heart for all of his encouragement and support over the years. Every time I play my Sarod I will think of you Hemen Kaku.

Alam Khan
kalyan

Reply with quote  #3 
RIP what a huge loss .. the world of sarode will never be the same.

Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
aparajit

Reply with quote  #4 
Very sad news indeed. I was hoping to meet him this March. Tragic indeed. May he rest in peace.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.