INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
anayini

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone know where I can find out how to play either of these two songs?

Also could anyone recommend a good book to learn sitar from because as of now I will be unable to get a teacher.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Google the song title. That should do it. Olga.com might have something as well. Great tunes, both of them! Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
I am a huge advocate of Ali Akbar Khan and George Ruckert's "The Classical Music of North India." This book has a lot of foundational theory on Hindustani music, information on its different styles, and a lot of written music. It also makes clear the mentality with which one should approach study, and many essential exercises.

It does not include instrument-specific instruction, but there are other resources out there. Check out the videos available at sitar-tabla.com. Though I personally know nothing about them, I have heard good things. Also, this forum has a wealth of info.

Cheers,
Tomek
Augustman

Reply with quote  #4 
There is a book that purports to be the complete Beatles scores, but it is rife with mistakes. I have found several myself. Not sure if the two tunes you seek are correct in the book or not, but keep this in mind if you go out and buy it. I think it is published by Hal Leonard.

I would encourage you to use your ear and pick out the notes. That being said, there are some things to look out for in these tunes.

"Love You To" is in C so if your sitar is tuned to C, you are ready to go. This would be a good song for you to learn by ear. Fairly straightforward piece that uses sitar throughout.

"Within You Without You" is a different story altogether. Not really that much sitar in it until the solo section. A lot of it is a bowed instrument (not sure which one). This piece is much more involved, probably Harrison's most advanced Indian-influenced piece. The solo section is in 5, with the melody instruments doing a fast 5 and the tabla in the background doing a slow 5.

"Norwegian Wood" is a much easier tune to learn if you haven't already. Keep in mind that Harrison played the sitar part to this tune before he learned how to play the instrument "proper". I found it easy to pick out after some trial and error.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Augustman"

"Within You Without You" is a different story altogether. Not really that much sitar in it until the solo section. A lot of it is a bowed instrument (not sure which one).
Dilruba?!
Augustman

Reply with quote  #6 
It probably is dilruba, but I'm not familiar enough with the instruments to tell the difference between dilruba, esraj, sarangi, etc. Mark Lewisohn's book on the Beatles' recording sessions might have the answer, but my recollection is that the Indian musicians on that session went uncredited and as such, the specific instrumentation may not have been written down.

I have that book and will try and remember to look that up.
Augustman

Reply with quote  #7 
According to Beatlesonline, the Indian instrumentation is svarmandal, tabla, dilruba, sitar and tamboura. Harrison played sitar and tamboura. Their road manager Neil Aspinal also played tamboura. The Indian musicians are uncredited as I thought. There is also a western string section scored by George Martin for a unique blend of western and eastern traditions.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.