INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
highracer

Reply with quote  #1 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU TONY......

I truly appreciate your craftsmanship, thanks for building me the
" HALF BRASS " SITAR, and for shining up both of my sitars, both sing
just an OCEAN of sound. I also appreciate your freely sharing your set-
up insights, and letting me stand there and look over your shoulder for
10 straight hours!!!!!! Your a class act, and truly poised to bring the
sitar into the 21st century!!!!!
Thanks to you I can stop noddling around with sitar set-ups and get
in some serious practice.

all the best
the highracer
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Highracer:
Luv your "Half Brass" - it's a peach from the pics - Tony is an excellant fellow & your right he shares his immense knowlege freely so we can maintain our axe's till he comes round next time. My own TK custom is a honey (just posted earlier this month) and he redid my old baby (OCEAN of sound - how appropriate - how true - what a master he is.) - The pictures and descriptions of your beauty just reinforce the fact that I made a VERY wise decision to have Tony build one for me I do have a question tho - Why brass for posts, eyelets, etc. and how does it affect the sound :?: I have wondered since the first time I saw it.

Happy Riyaz
Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #3 
Gentlemen! Your words of praise honor me. I am humbled and most appreciative. Always happy to share this info, especially with those who can apply it. My best wishes all across!

Reply with quote  #4 
what is a half brass sitar?...any pictures?
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #5 
Check Tony's site - custom axe's pg 2 - It's a beauty.
Here's the linc.

http://karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.CFM?ID=IMG0155

HG 8)

Reply with quote  #6 
yes, that is a real beauty!

what's the story behind that brass taraf eyelets?

and what is the advantage of using brass for the frets?
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #7 
Wow, 24 frets??

How does it play on the upper frets, in terms of sound clarity and "fretability"

- Rex
highracer

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello folks,

Sorry for the delay in reply, many tasks.

In reponse to the question of the brass chikari posts, and eyelets,
I wanted something durable, no wear no cracking, no hassles.

As far as the sound goes, oh! my! what a sound, WOW, I think the brass doesn't make a difference, its the instrument surrounding the brass!!!!

As far as playing up the neck, I have the 1st all the way up to 24frets clear, with the new delrin bridge 19 frets on the 2nd, and 19 frets on the 3rd. I real player could I'm sure extend that with no problem.

I'm really not a great player, the instrument is master class more than I could ever hope to grow into, just love it.

I know you folks won't believe this but when I got the instrument back in December of 2006, the bridge was really high but it played beautifully I had the 1st, 2nd and 3rd all the way up the neck!!!! 24frets, but I played it for 40 hours over 2 weeks, even changed the whole top course of strings, I started noddling around with the jawari and lost it
However Tony has me hooked up with two bridges for each of my main sitars and hopefully I won't have to try and do much jawari work.

I have done some jawari work in the past usually took me 5-6 hours of meticulous filing to get something decent. And that was just a fresh'in it up thing!!!

Most I'm sure are horrified that I would have messed with the jawari, but the only way to learn is to do, I had a teacher several years ago who took me into a local music shop and he showed me how he did his jawari and set-up, I have tried to practice so I would not lose those 3 hours of precious education, but like everything else I've had some success an some failure. However with Tony back in the USA, if I mess up badly, well put another bridge on and take it back to Tony.
At this stage though I think it is reasonable to attempt touch up jawari. If you keep the bridge worked evenly, and are consistent it never should get really bad.
That said, of course I have back up bridges and the last thing I want to be doing is jawari, THANK THE GODS FOR TONY!!!!!

Oh! by the way to Hamletsghost WOW!!!!! what an amazing instrument you have, hats off to your creative energy, and to Tony.

happy playing

the highracer
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #9 
Oh now stop it, you guys !!! I'm just doing what I love to do and not sitting in an office. Glad to be of service !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.