INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Eggo

Reply with quote  #1 
Apparently, a dayan that I bought in India has a bug (termite perhaps?) which is eating away at the wood inside of the drum...

...Is there anything I can do to get rid of the bug? The dayan is of quite nice quality and I would feel bad just throwing it away.

Thanks!
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #2 
If you have any Anti-termite Liquid then spray it or Mix it with Varnish or kerosene and apply it using brush on the Wood. Even if you apply Varnish alone then the insects/Termite will die.
Normally such cases occur when one uses Amroha Wood. . There is a place called Amrohi in Uttar pradesh. The amroha wood Tabla Pots are made from mango(Aam) Tree Wood. And hence the Pots get eaten up by termites. The best way is as i told you in the beginning

TC
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
I do not think that it is a termite but probably the "False Powderpost Beetle" (Xylopsocus Capucinus). It can be very devastating to your tabla if not taken care of, but it is surprisingly easy to kill. Here are two techniques that I have had good results with. In both cases it is not necessary to disassemble the drum.

1) you can use a fumigant insecticide. Simply wrap up the tabla in a plastic sack with a small amount of fumigant. Seal it with tape. Let it sit for a few days.

Please note that there are very many fumigants out there. In normal concentrations it not likely to harm the dayan, but if you use too high concentrations, I can make no promises as to what it will do to either the rawhide or the plastic sack. Therefore there is another way that is safer.

2) Wrap and seal the dayan in a plastic sack with a fair amount of desiccant (e.g., silica gel). Let it sit for a day. When you are absolutely sure that there is no humidity in the sack, place the whole thing in the freezer. Let it sit for a few days. After some days in the freezer take it out. DO NOT OPEN THE SACK NOW. TO DO SO WILL CAUSE WATER TO CONDENSE IN THE SYAHI. Wait a day or so, then open the sealed plastic sack. The dayan will now be free of insects.

Peace and Solidarity

David Courtney
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #4 
David,
I'd seriously love to know which fumigant you've successfully used to kill powder post beetles. I've had them twice before and went to several professional exterminators and they all said the only way to kill them was to take them to high end extermination places that have a vacum-sealed chamber, where the wood has to stay for 48 hours, at a huge price. All the exterminators said, if you can't afford the gas chamber, throw out the instrument before other instruments get infected. I threw out 6 dholaks and some ektaras earlier this year because of this. One tabla player I know said he took off the pudi and baked the shell in an oven at 475 farenheit and two years later, the little bastards re-appeared!
Cheers,
Keshav
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #5 
You might try calling the Conservation Dept. of a nearby museum for more information about the bug and how to fumigate for both the insect and eggs.
(Some states NY,VT prohibit the sale of the required pesticides to kill these insects and their larvae - possibly why it's so expensive to have it done professionally.)

A.

Reply with quote  #6 
The best way to get rid of this problem is by purchasing a Tabla made out of Nasik Sesum(Indian Rosewood), Khair Wood or Neem Wood, so there is no chance of Powderpost Beetle attacking your musical wooden instrument.
Eggo

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks to everyone who posted!

I am pleasantly surprised that this is not an uncommon issue and I have set out to try the fumigant method first :-)
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sohummusicals"
The best way to get rid of this problem is by purchasing a Tabla made out of Nasik Sesum(Indian Rosewood), Khair Wood or Neem Wood, so there is no chance of Powderpost Beetle attacking your musical wooden instrument.
All my dholaks are made from Sheeshum and it made no difference.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #9 
Keshavji,
was that North Indian Sesum or UP sesum . If you say that it was affected then sure its not nashik sesum.
The nashik sesum which i'm talking about look is very dark purple, and it becomes black as it gets older. Secondly Nashik sesum tablas are never polished or painted, as they have their natural dark colour. The weight of sesum wood is so heavy that 1 dayan weighs atleast 6 kg. Its termite resistant and so difficult to turn, that even the blades break off. Nashik Sesum wood instruments can never catch termite or Powderpost Beetle.

Cheers
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #10 
I looked up infestation signs of this beetle on the interweb and I think i may have an infected drum. Couldnt I just take of the head and spray the shell down with Raid?

Thanks for bringing my attention to this. Without this post I never would have known what that fine powdery substance was that was coming out of my drum, and my other drums could possibly have gotten infected.

Reply with quote  #11 
'Raid' or 'freezing' and "baking" might kill the insect but it's doubtful that those would have any effect on the eggs and their subsequent larvae. It's the larvae that do the damage. The larvae turn into insects that mate and lay eggs soon after they emerge - the cycle is difficult to interupt - which is why the species is so persistent.
Google "Powder Post Beetle" and read the articles before determining a course of action. As I said earlier, the pesticide that's required to kill the eggs and the larvae is banned in some states probably because it has the ability to also kill the eggs of friendlier insects and the eggs of birds that feed on them as well.
IMHO - You should also make an effort to speak to museum or antiquities consevator as well to see what procedures work in states where the pesticide is not available - picture frames, furniture, and other wooden antiques of every kind of natural and synthetic cellulose material, including sheesham, ebony, and mahoghany are also susceptible to this particular and not-uncommon type of infestation.

A.

p.s. It is hoped that if you knowingly have an infected instrument you would destroy it first, as Keshav did, before attempting to sell it to an unsuspecting person. :?

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sohummusicals"
Keshavji,
was that North Indian Sesum or UP sesum . If you say that it was affected then sure its not nashik sesum.
The nashik sesum which i'm talking about look is very dark purple, and it becomes black as it gets older. Secondly Nashik sesum tablas are never polished or painted, as they have their natural dark colour. The weight of sesum wood is so heavy that 1 dayan weighs atleast 6 kg. Its termite resistant and so difficult to turn, that even the blades break off. Nashik Sesum wood instruments can never catch termite or Powderpost Beetle.

Cheers
Tik Hai. Kya Karenge? I have tried settiing off a termite bomb in a sealed bag with the drum inside for 2 days - and when we took the dayan out of the bag - you could still hear those suckers munching. No joke . . . you could hear them eating the wood.
Cheers,
Keshav
Keshav
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #13 
Friends,
I don't know how much this will help but please read this article about Powder Post beetles, posted on the following link

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/powderpostbeetles.htm

And Products.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/pick-timbor1.htm

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/spec/pick-boracare1.htm

Cheers.

christopher

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Eggo"
Apparently, a dayan that I bought in India has a bug (termite perhaps?) which is eating away at the wood inside of the drum...

...Is there anything I can do to get rid of the bug? The dayan is of quite nice quality and I would feel bad just throwing it away.

Thanks!
Sir,
I know that with small pieces of timber treatment of borers can be effected
by putting it in a microwave oven for a time. This is fraught with problems
but I feel that in view of the destructive capability of these insects carefull
experiment with this solution might save your drum.
Regards,
Chris.

PS. Your problem is not likely to be termites.
fezel28

Reply with quote  #15 
Hello, Eggo,

Your problem is termite inside a drum with bugs create a problem that solves a problem you & refers a company this provide termite pest control, termite inspection, termite inspection cost etc services provides you should need any services you can contact us. After any information, you should need please contact here.

Thanks!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.