INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #1 
My wife keeps the house pretty cool often (around 65 at night etc). I leave the house sometimes with my tabla & sarangi which in the summer is sometimes in the 90s with high humidity.

I really never thought of anything of this until I seen a split in both of my tabla after 3 years. Looks more like a slit next to the syahi on both. I was thinking it could have been split from the temp differences but I am not sure. I am asking because I dont want this to happen to my sarangi as I would faint . It is sitting in a leather case and was thinking of building a wooden box and putting some of those dehumidifier pouches. Would this be better?

Looking for any advice on this.

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi.

I assume you're living in India or some other similar -climate place.
My experience's limited but in '98 a recorder-flute lost its voice completely because of the monsoon humidity absorption (got back to usual after the stuff evaporated).

Leather absorbs (/gives away) moisture like crazy, so I THINK you're definitely asking for trouble: I Like the look of those old leather cases & etc., but as stylish as you may find 'em, if you want to keep instrument safely in it, I'd say 1st get it BONE-dry & then get it inside a big hermetic plastic bag (Transparent's better so that you'll easily keep an eye on what's inside).

I hate plastic on instruments as much as like it for protection: In a very dry climate, I'd skip it, though.
Hope this helps.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.