INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nirmal

Reply with quote  #1 
Namaste friends,

any tips for strenghening fingers away from the tabla, particular i want to strengthen my ring finger on both bayan & dayan hand i am considering using
finger weights but am curious if anyone has any tips & techniques to use to strengthen fingers away from the tabla.
evening84

Reply with quote  #2 
I would agree with Khitchdee. Just play. If you are away from the Tabla, just use a table or any other surface.
I am reminded of a story when someone asked Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, the flute-maestro, if he did any breathing exercises to help with the form. "What breathing exercises " , he said," I just play the flute. That is the breathing exercise."

VNO Design

Reply with quote  #3 
There are several ways to exercise your fingers effectively to help strengthen your Bayan hand. Personally I've used this gadget: http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Medical-Exerciser-XX-Light-0-75-Pound/dp/B00DCRXPIW/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1445616917&sr=1-6&keywords=gripmaster+light

Make sure to get the Light tension or XX Light Tension version.

Apply your fingers on the pads just like you were striking your Bayan and knock out as many repetitions as you can. It's an easy way to build strength, but as others have commented, you will need to practice a lot to program the new muscle you will be building. Even on your right hand if you hold this tool out on the tips of your fingers with your fingers extended like they would be on the Tabla, you can strengthen your Na and TeTe strokes.

Best of luck!

Nirmal

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Vno Design
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #5 
They are all good suggestions. Particularly play play and play. Only thing I would add is put a thin scarf, shawl. Wool or cotton to avoid slippage. Some believe in wearing wrist weights etc. I don't.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #6 
I kind of have a similar, but a slightly different perspective. If I may share...

Larger dayans are easier to tune. So the tuning qualification is not applicable as stated above.

Larger dayans are harder on finger spread & thus strenghten some muscles, but not all. Let me first say, I personally prefer dayans from 6.25" to 7" in diameter.

Now, let's talk about strength. There is weight based strength. Larger daysns are good for that. There is dexterity based strength & relatively smaller dayans drive that.

The commonalty is that - Yes. Larger dayans are a good place to start generally not knowing:
1. The size of your hand
2. Bols (play full hand dhirdhir on a smaller dayan for a long time with little reward. Dhinegine is another example)
3. Play tite on a larger dayan & even after your fingers can crack a walnut, tite's will be like a raisin.
4. People don't talk about the height of the dayan droending on torso to bottom half ratio of your body. Your sitting posture. Your shoulder strength & the natural curvature of your back.

Ignoring the above details. Get 2 dayan's. Small & large. Exact diameter size can be a self-discovery or advised by a teacher or a reputable seller. Upendra is one good guy to buy from. Look him up.
proxmire

Reply with quote  #7 
This is a little bit different approach, so I don't mind people disagreeing with it. First I think all the strength come from the spine, and originates there. I think of the spine as the center from which all power comes from, then radiates through to the shoulders, arms, and hand then fingers. The fingers have the least amount of power, so it all comes from the other bigger bones and ultimately the spine. I started martial arts after I had been playing tabla for a while, and I applied the same principle, and my teacher was impressed with how much power I had with very little athleticism and a fairly small build (and pretty scrawny limbs). It's not about muscles at all, it's about flexibility and elasticity of the tendons and ligaments. That's where all the snap comes from.

The 1" punch is kind of applicable to the tabla. You are trying to strike with as much force as possible with no "wind up", so it has to be a quick snap with all of your power channeled though a small amount of surface area.

Another thing I have found is instead of thinking you are just hitting the drum with the index finger or other three fingers or whatever, is that you are always hitting the drum with your whole hand, hitting the drum like a conga or djembe player would hit it, bringing your whole hand down (slightly) in one slapping motion, with the fingers positioned differently for the different strokes. I learned this from watching masters play, and and you see their whole hands move in one motion and you can hardly tell what their fingers are doing. You want to keep the hand as static as possible with as little movement as possible to maintain efficiency while still having power and holding in the strokes, which comes from flexibility, so stretches (of the whole body/yoga) IMO are much more effective than weight or muscle exercises.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.