INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Vivek

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg"
As PB suggested unless you have hands like a bunch of bananas it's difficult to hit the centre of the sihayi on a big dayan, all you can do is open your hand up and do your best. I have big hands and I find it difficult.
This is purely an issue of practice and technique. My teacher always insists on hitting EXACTLY in the center (as you can see in the video you posted yourself) and you can hear the difference it makes in tone. Yes, there are certain phrases and compositions which are exceptions, but when learning, one should focus on developing the main technique first, then worry about exceptions.

Guruji does NOT have big hands - nor do I, or many of the younger students who are studying with him. He requires all beginning students, once they reach a certain age (maybe mid-teens, depending on their size) to practice on large tablas - generally 6.5-6.75", and always play precisely in the center for ti, tita and tirakita. This takes time to develop, but as others have said, it becomes much easier with time, and with a few years of proper practice, it translates to small tablas as well, giving you much more clarity when playing shyahi strokes on any size dayan.

- Vivek

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
..it is almost effortless playing at times.

I said ALMOST Greg! ALMOST!!!

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
This is somewhat tangential to the bigger tabla thread, but still somewhat related ... Pt. Homanthji studied with Ustad Thirakwa for a year (and only a year because he died), and U. Thirakwa used to tell Homanthji that rather than looking for the best sounding tabla, he should practice on an average tabla, even an inferior sounding tabla! The reason being that with a great sounding concert quality tabla it is almost effortless to get a great sound and for that reason all too easy to play carelessly, whereas with an average or inferior tabla, a considerable and focused effort may be required to produce a decent sound, and it's that consistent focused effort that good practice requires.

.... sounds plausible to me ...

(moreover, it's a great story to include in the ad if you have to sell an otherwise crappy tabla!)

Pascal
I have heard this before....enter the 7" Dayan. You hit the wrong spot by even a 16th of an inch...and the sound changes...and isn't "right".

I do agree with the above for smaller diameters though...it is almost effortless playing at times. Which is why i tend to practice (if i ever do) on the large dayan.
I think you have a point there. I guess the 7" dayan has its own demands for accuracy which itself requires focused attention as well. Moreover, the "varied practice" method that I've been reading does suggest that occasionally practicing outside the bounds of normal practice can be quite beneficial.

I wonder if it works the other way ... anyone got a 3" dayan I can try out!?!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Acelga"

(Nerd mode: on)
This is just like when Son Goku and Krilin trained for months with a 30kg turtle shell on their backs and when they got rid of it they could jump 20 meters and run faster than ever.
(Nerd mode: off)

....who the heck are Goku and Krilin ?

..... oh ... ok .... nevermind!

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6339/gokukrillin.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Vivek

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Acelga"

(Nerd mode: on)
This is just like when Son Goku and Krilin trained for months with a 30kg turtle shell on their backs and when they got rid of it they could jump 20 meters and run faster than ever.
(Nerd mode: off)
Perfect analogy.

Reply with quote  #21 
I'm posting this link here simply because it's clearly relevant to this issue ...

http://www.sikhsaaj.com/jori.html

It nicely illustrates that this playing technique on a big dayan much more resembles the approach on the pakhawaj ...

I really wish that video was longer!

Pascal

tofu_khan

Reply with quote  #22 
Best advice I can give is to start out pushing your hands a bit farther up on the syahi, and as it begins to feel more comfortable you will find it easier to hit the center as you would on a smaller drum. Once muscle memory/focused sound is developed, you can strike closer to the edge of the syahi for speed, as someone else said.

Also -- for strength and subsequent clarity, playing pakhawaj is very good since in addition to the benefits of practicing on a larger diameter head, gravity will not help you strike, and the extra force must be developed by the muscles.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.