INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Neal

Reply with quote  #1 
If I may ask a question?

I was practicing my four note meends (and I noticed this mostly on only one of my sitars.) Let's say I am pulling a meend from ga-ma-pa-da. Ga to ma may be fine but then as I continue my pull (meend) - pa and da dies out. What causes this?

My other question is sometimes when I'm playing directly on the fret (only a few select frets) unless I press my finger verrrry firmly against that fret - the note won't play, once again like it's a dead spot. This only happens on one sitar.

Any thoughts?
StVitus

Reply with quote  #2 
Are the meends dying because your sitar just doesn’t sustain that long? Or do they just die after you pull more than a step?

If you have to push down hard against the fret your action might be too high and the string is vibrating against the fret instead of vibrating between the fret and the bridge. At the highest fret action for a sitar is usually 10 to 12 mm.
Neal

Reply with quote  #3 
No. The sustain is very good on this sitar. The note just goes dead as the meend or pull is continued.

Action is pretty low on this sitar.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
Good explanation here. Thx.

:arrow: http://www.sitarfactory.be/2013/dead-notes/
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
It can be a jawari thing but my guess is that it has to do with the frets. It can be that the fret above the one your fretting/pulling is a little bit higher. Mostly you will notice that when pulling bigger meends (4 or 5 notes). The highest notes gets dead. This happens a lot on the higher frets and less on the lower frets but it can be on any fret. You can move the fret a little away sideways from the neck to check if it is getting better. But for a permanent solution the frets have to be hammered lower. Maybe the action of your sitar is too low (?).

Also check if the fret from where you are pulling is tightly fit and not bending forward. I had that last month but that was because I had to re tie my fret.
Neal

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
It can be a jawari thing but my guess is that it has to do with the frets. It can be that the fret above the one your fretting/pulling is a little bit higher. Mostly you will notice that when pulling bigger meends (4 or 5 notes). The highest notes gets dead. This happens a lot on the higher frets and less on the lower frets but it can be on any fret. You can move the fret a little away sideways from the neck to check if it is getting better. But for a permanent solution the frets have to be hammered lower. Maybe the action of your sitar is too low (?).

Also check if the fret from where you are pulling is tightly fit and not bending forward. I had that last month but that was because I had to re tie my fret.
I do feel this may be the issue.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.