INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
charmaine

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice. I've been playing sitar for 6 months and bought a Bhargava tun wood sitar at the time I started from a local music shop. Its not a fantastic sitar but everything has been fine with it, until today. Now, when I pluck the bottom sympathetic string it makes a dull noise because it vibrates against the bottom fret. For some unknown reason, it has become too close to the bottom frets and its never done this before. I changed the string but the problem remains.
I cant see any cause of the problem. The neck dosent look warped, I haven't moved the frets and it hasn't been knocked or damaged at all. My teacher has said in the past that sitars de-tune in hot weather, and it has been unusually hot today where I am, but this seems a bit extreme. My teacher lives quite far and I'm not seeing him until mid August but dont even know if theres anything he could do. Is this something simple to fix? My sitar is still under guarantee and I'm wondering if I should take it back to the shop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi ! Without photos of the instrument, I can only offer suggestions. Chances are the neck has bent up from string tension. Most of them do. Quick fixes include : shifting the bottom bridge over to the centerline of the neck if possible. 1/8" should do it. That will reposition all the strings closer to the high arch point of the fret. You could also shift the bottom bridge closer to the frets. That will lower the bottom bridge in relation to the frets. As most tablis are rounded to a degree, having the bottom bridge closer to the main bridge means it sits higher to the frets as seen from the side. If the problem persists, you will probably have to lower the legs (such as they are) on the bottom bridge. Beyond that, cutting the neck off and making a new joint block that allows the neck to sit at a better angle in relation to the rest of the instrument. Good luck.

Reply with quote  #3 
You are right, it must be some kind warping/bending as there is no other explanation. Cutting off the neck or lowering bridges sounds way too scary for me to attempt!!! I will take it back to the shop and see if they can help.
Thanks for your advice
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
Welcome ! Hope you get it all resolved.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.