INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mattm312

Reply with quote  #1 
I've noticed different schools/different layouts. What do you use? For the luthiers, is there an optimal length-to-tension ratio that might suggest the optimal pitches?
barend

Reply with quote  #2 
Allthough I play a RS sitar I always tune my tarafs in the VK style. So first one is Ni, second one is Dha, third one is Sa, fourth is also Sa, and so on up to high Ga. In some ragas (like malkauns) I tune the highest taraf to Ma...yes, it doesn't break (even when tuned to D pitch)

I like the sound of the Ni and Dha played with the little finger of the left hand.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Noting the usual longest taraf string breaking when tuned to SA, I set up my own standard of tuning. Going longest to shortest: Ni, Dha, Sa, Sa, Re, and on up the neck. The idea here is to reduce the overall tension on all strings by one note to reduce the neck tension and string breakage. Ni as the longest solves that particular problem. Double SA's that usually flank the #7 fret are a nice reference point. On a pinky strum down, I like the sound of the double SA, the dip to Dha and the final note Ni, not Sa. This is just my personal liking for my ears and ongoing desire to do the sitar well any way I can. There any number of different ways to set the strings up with no hard set in stone rules that I know of. Experiment with different setups. You should that a most enjoyable time as long as no old strings break in the process.

Reply with quote  #4 
good pointers..my low Sa's are always breaking
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #5 
Hmm, I have never hada problem with the longest taraf breaking when tuning it to Sa. My setup is RS style, Sa Ni Sa Re etc. to high Ga, sometimes doubling notes depending on the raga.
povster

Reply with quote  #6 
Like Chessecake, I also use the sa ni sa for the three lowest tarafs. I've never had one break due to tension, even in the old days (early 70's) when I tuned to D (now at C#).

I wonder if either the string quality is a factor or if there may be something going on with the grommet - a burr or similar that may be kinking the string?

CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
I wonder if either the string quality is a factor or if there may be something going on with the grommet - a burr or similar that may be kinking the string?
I would go with string quality being a definite factor. When I first got my sitar, the previous owner tossed me a bag with all sorts of goodies like strings and mizrabs. Had a nice big coil of taraf wire, so I replaced all of them soon as part of an effort to get acquainted with my new instrument. To say that those strings began "popping off all over the place" in the coming weeks would be a slight exaggeration, but they did break at many unnecessary times. Also I should say I was only tuning to C or C#. Anyways, I quickly ordered a set from Sitarsetc and have not had a problem with breaking since.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.