INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #16 
@barend I asked the same question a while ago, maybe this helps: https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/why-are-many-proinstruments-unlabelled-10052895?trail=45

My current Teacher, who hast studied with him a lot when Shahid was younger (80s i guess)  and until about 10 years ago, has one made by Yusuf Mirajkar, which he told me was what Shahid played at the time. This maker has passed away. 

Seems that he sources his instruments somewhere from the Miraj-Makers. He also sells Sitars trough his websie, which are declared as Miraj-Instruments. 

regards Michael
barend

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Mike
@barend I asked the same question a while ago, maybe this helps: https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/why-are-many-proinstruments-unlabelled-10052895?trail=45

My current Teacher, who hast studied with him a lot when Shahid was younger (80s i guess)  and until about 10 years ago, has one made by Yusuf Mirajkar, which he told me was what Shahid played at the time. This maker has passed away. 

Seems that he sources his instruments somewhere from the Miraj-Makers. He also sells Sitars trough his websie, which are declared as Miraj-Instruments. 

regards Michael

Yes I have read that topic before. I am still very curious as to why it happens more with VK style players! Any insights on that?
Lars

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend

Why is that?

Many reasons.

1. Simplicity of design and aesthetics
2. Didn't get the instrument for free and so don't needlessly promote the instrument maker.
3. So no one easily knows who made your instrument in case you're doing a side-business selling them.
4. So the instrument maker can't name drop you as using his instrument and saying your name every 2 sentences in every conversation he carries out the rest of his life. Some of you will know who I'm talking about, ha ha.

Personally I think a makers mark should be there, for those who don't want the tag they could do a subtle burn in of the name somewhere mostly out of sight as is done in the Middle-East. Just my opinion....

Lars

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Mike

M
y current Teacher, who hast studied with him a lot when Shahid was younger (80s i guess)  and until about 10 years ago, has one made by Yusuf Mirajkar, which he told me was what Shahid played at the time. This maker has passed away. 

regards Michael

He sells instruments via his network, they're made by Ibrahim Sitarmaker in Miraj. Yusuf was actually a shop owner in Pune, the instruments also came from Miraj back then. Last I heard SP was playing a rikhiram or at least fitted by them but I don't know for sure.

Reply with quote  #20 
thanks for claifying about Yusuf Mirajkar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars

2. Didn't get the instrument for free and so don't needlessly promote the instrument maker.

interesting. If you have a Guitar-Endorsment for instance, you also normally do not get the instruments for free, except you are a really big star. I would have that when someone of the caliber of Parvez or Mukherjee plays your instruments, the marketing value is so great that you could afford building them an instrument for free....

Correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption but: Aren't most of the big players from rather wealthy families compared to the Indian average. They should be able to afford a top-notch Sitar anyway. I mean, compared to other instruments they are somewhat cheap considering the amount of hours that goes into making one. Compare that to a violin, vor instance...

Quote:

4. So the instrument maker can't name drop you as using his instrument and saying your name every 2 sentences in every conversation he carries out the rest of his life. Some of you will know who I'm talking about, ha ha.

I don't know who you are talking about here, but i can vividly imagine that, haha.....

regars Michael
barend

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:

Many reasons.

1. Simplicity of design and aesthetics
3. So no one easily knows who made your instrument in case you're doing a side-business selling them.

Personally I think a makers mark should be there, for those who don't want the tag they could do a subtle burn in of the name somewhere mostly out of sight as is done in the Middle-East. Just my opinion....

Thanks Lars. It somehow makes sense to me but not completely. I get that some players whould do that but I still don't get why VK style players would do this more than Maihar style players for example. It remains a big mystery to me.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.